Should I send a letter of intent before I receive a decision or after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any value to sending a LOI before I receive a decision? I won't hear back for about a week or so. I wanted to explain why I am a great fit for their school but not sure if it will have any impact on my decision or not. I'd appreciate any feedback and if it has helped you. Admissions recommended I stay in contact with them and write a letter. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any value to sending a LOI before I receive a decision? I won't hear back for about a week or so. I wanted to explain why I am a great fit for their school but not sure if it will have any impact on my decision or not. I'd appreciate any feedback and if it has helped you. Admissions recommended I stay in contact with them and write a letter. Thanks!
I think people typically wait until after they receive an admissions decision to send an LOI. I would imagine an LOI does not affect your initial decision, but may help if you are waitlisted. And who knows, you might get accepted and not need to write an LOI!

How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate applicant?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"He's back"
Lordvoldemort.jpeg