Should I send a letter of intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rogersmith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I know this has been posted many times, but I was looking for someone to help me with my specific situation.

I just interviewed at a school and I absolutely loved it. It was not my first choice at first, but now I am certain I would like to attend this school. Within 24 hours of the interview I emailed my interviewer thanking him for his time, told him that I had a great time on campus and I was confident the school was right for me (sounded better and was more specific in the email). However, after further reflecting on the experience I would withdraw my other applications/acceptances if I were to be accepted here. Should I write a letter of intent stating this? If so, is it appropriate to do so ASAP? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what I've read on here, letter of intents are best suited for if you get on the waitlist. Sending a letter of intent now may be construed as a bit arrogant since you just interviewed and the adcom has yet to make their decision. Also, in case you do get on the waitlist, you'll still have that opportunity to send a letter of intent. If you really really want to send something, perhaps you can send an update letter (if you have some updates) and express your strong interest in the school.

However, after further reflecting on the experience I would withdraw my other applications/acceptances if I were to be accepted here. Should I write a letter of intent stating this? If so, is it appropriate to do so ASAP? Thanks for any advice you can give.
I can't imagine this would have a positive effect. It manages to be both presumptuous and needy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to hijack the thread, but along similar lines to OP's question, is it advisable to send update letters (but not w/ significant "nature pub" type updates) to admissions committee post-interview, but prior to the decision making process? or is this not recommended since this would be unlikely to sway a committee either way and that this uses up a chance to have the file pulled out at a later date (presumably if an applicant is waitlisted)?

Not to hijack the thread, but along similar lines to OP's question, is it advisable to send update letters (but not w/ significant "nature pub" type updates) to admissions committee post-interview, but prior to the decision making process? or is this not recommended since this would be unlikely to sway a committee either way and that this uses up a chance to have the file pulled out at a later date (presumably if an applicant is waitlisted)?

You're asking if you should send an update letter without any information to update?
No.

You're asking if you should send an update letter without any information to update?
No.

I wouldn't say I have nothing to update, but rather, I don't have any new publications. I've been led to believe that new publications/awards are on a different level of interest to the adcoms, as opposed to new extracurriculars and the likes.

I wouldn't say I have nothing to update, but rather, I don't have any new publications. I've been led to believe that new publications/awards are on a different level of interest to the adcoms, as opposed to new extracurriculars and the likes.

Just my 2 cents:
If you have started a new activity between the time of your interview and the time of a decision on your application, you have not been doing the EC long enough to merit an update. Anything new and amazing prior to the interview would have been good to bring up with your interviewers.

If you have to question whether it merits an update, it is probably not the type of info that is going to change the disposition of your application. And if you continue the ECs, if waitlisted, they'll be more substantial if you choose to update in the future (and you may have other stuff to add). So, I would rarely recommend an update between interview and decision.

Updates should not be seen as a routine part of every applicant's process, and it's ok to not send one if the picture painted by your application is pretty consistent with the one that would be drawn at a later date. Furthermore, everybody involved in reviewing your app is a busy person -- I don't imagine any of them look more favorably at a file when they took time to read an update letter that felt unnecessary.

I think people over think the update part. Unless your update is something silly like "I joined a new club!", then the worst thing that happens, in my opinion, is the ADCOM doesn't look or doesn't care and the best thing that happens is they think you've done something well/see you're still interested in their school. I imagine in the scheme of the process, unless the update is a major national award or a publication, it won't matter one way or another, like so many parts of the application looked at individually, so just do what gives your peace of mind.

For what's its worth (like most things on here with an n=1, not all that much), I sent update letters before hearing back from schools but after the interview and was never negatively effected.