Should I send in a letter of intent?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Most people here probably know of my interview (or lack of) woes as I whine about it a lot. I am a TX resident and have heard nothing from any TX med school. I figured being a TX resident and intending to stay in TX would make me at least semi-attractive. Oh yea, before I go on, my stats are as follows: 3.37GPA (total) and 3.29GPA (sci), 32Q, much better LORs, much better PS, real experience in medicine/surgery, and lots of service to the Houston community. I also have a cheating incident on my application, which I know holds me back. I had demonstrated (or did the best I could) my maturation and dedication to becoming a doctor.

My question is should I send a letter of intent to my schools? My top choices in TX are UTSW and UTH and I am getting really antsy about waiting for forever. I know it may seem like I'm overreacting and getting too anal, but I did this last year. And I just sat there before, doing nothing. I don't want that to happen this year.

I'm thinking if I do, I'd say something along the lines of "Hey, you're one of my top choices for med school. I know that in the future I want to practice in TX and serve the great state that has been my home. I cannot imagine practicing anywhere else. I know my GPA isn't great and that I have a blemish on my application, but I know I want to be a doctor and the fact that I have worked very closely in the medical field has made me all the more adamant. Yes I know I'm basically asking for an interview, but I'm really asking for a chance to show you and your school that I love medicine and want to be a great doctor. I have matured since my incident 3 years ago and am an entirely different person now."

So what do you think I should do? Should I do write a letter? Email? Phone call? This is so difficult. Please offer any words of advice/encouragement/criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I think there's been MANY a thread about this topic. I think that a letter of INTENT might be premature at this stage in the game. You haven't gotten interviews yet.

That being said, I don't think it would be a bad idea to write letters of INTEREST to your schools. I would keep it, AT MOST, a page, and write mostly about why you think you would be a good match at their school. Write any strengths that you feel might not be reflected well in your AMCAS and secondary.

IF/WHEN you get an interview, you could write a letter of intent (i.e. I will go to your school and withdraw my app from everywhere else if you accept me)... but for now, send out letters of interest. I don't think it'll hurt you at all.

By the way, just out of curiousity, is that a picture of your mom on your avatar?! She's pretty cute, and I didn't want to use the word MILF, but your SDN usernname and picture just reminded me of it.

Anyhoo... good luck YourMom!

everyone likes that avatar and asks about it, me too. its some korean idol, hyori lee

Members don't see this ad :)
yourmom25 said:
Most people here probably know of my interview (or lack of) woes as I whine about it a lot. I am a TX resident and have heard nothing from any TX med school. I figured being a TX resident and intending to stay in TX would make me at least semi-attractive. Oh yea, before I go on, my stats are as follows: 3.37GPA (total) and 3.29GPA (sci), 32Q, much better LORs, much better PS, real experience in medicine/surgery, and lots of service to the Houston community. I also have a cheating incident on my application, which I know holds me back. I had demonstrated (or did the best I could) my maturation and dedication to becoming a doctor.

My question is should I send a letter of intent to my schools? My top choices in TX are UTSW and UTH and I am getting really antsy about waiting for forever. I know it may seem like I'm overreacting and getting too anal, but I did this last year. And I just sat there before, doing nothing. I don't want that to happen this year.

I'm thinking if I do, I'd say something along the lines of "Hey, you're one of my top choices for med school. I know that in the future I want to practice in TX and serve the great state that has been my home. I cannot imagine practicing anywhere else. I know my GPA isn't great and that I have a blemish on my application, but I know I want to be a doctor and the fact that I have worked very closely in the medical field has made me all the more adamant. Yes I know I'm basically asking for an interview, but I'm really asking for a chance to show you and your school that I love medicine and want to be a great doctor. I have matured since my incident 3 years ago and am an entirely different person now."

So what do you think I should do? Should I do write a letter? Email? Phone call? This is so difficult. Please offer any words of advice/encouragement/criticism.

i believe you would probably get an interview later in the cycle, around december through feb. more competitve applicants would interview first-- those with equivalent mcat scores, higher grades, and equal activities / LORs.

but honestly, getting back to the letter of intent, only write it to schools that encourage it. i believe university of vermont, or nymc (not sure which), was strongly against letters of interest. letters of intent, if acceptable, cannot hurt you, and can only help you move up the interview pool priorities.

I think you should write the letter... Be persistent without being overly irritating, and make friends in the adcom offices.

Good luck!

haha ok so maybe i was looking for the word interest as opposed to intent. would it still be a good idea to send one of these?

everyone tells me i'll get interviews later in the season but for some reason after last year, i can't sit still. i'm still deciding whether to send these letters of interest out or not but i'd like more advice if y'all can offer it.

also yes that is hyori lee. she's hot. haha that's it. i think i'll start changing my avatar so you guys can get a nice rotation. haha.

dmtang said:
i believe university of vermont, or nymc (not sure which), was strongly against letters of interest. letters of intent, if acceptable, cannot hurt you, and can only help you move up the interview pool priorities.

I think you're mixing up letter of interest vs. letter of intent.

so who do i address this to? the admissions office? specifically the director/dean?

how long should it be? someone said 1 page earlier and i think that'd reasonable if i'm including current and recent activities, talking about the school and what i like.

any more opinions?

Hyori Lee :love:

LOL

LOL come on guys. ever since i changed my pic/someone drew attention to my avatar, i've gotten 7 PMs telling me how hot she is. yes, i know this. this is why she is my avatar.

sooo does anyone know who i should send this letter to? to whom are letters of intent addressed? i figure it's the same for interest.

hey so just updating everyone (also bumping because no one has advice to give me)...got rejected from stanford today.

i knew it was a long shot but man, it's getting real. i'm seriously considering sending these letters out to my fav schools like drexel, gwu, jhu, loyola chic, and the UT system. where do i send them?