Should I send secondaries to non-accredited/ partially-accredited schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

respectedmadman

OMS-IV
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to make of schools like this. I sent primaries but I'm considering not sending a secondary. Should I be concerned? Is this a reliable option?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly are your concerns? Also, not trying to be a jerk but why did you send your primary to schools you had concerns with?

Reactions: 1 user
And holy crap you applied to 44 MD schools! Ouch on the pocket book

Members don't see this ad :)
1) don't apply to schools that you have concerns about
2) to my knowledge, any school that can accept applicants in the US has at least preliminary accreditation. A school will not have full accreditation until it is ready to graduate its first class.
3) these new schools want full accreditation and will work hard to make sure their students succeed. So a school with preliminary accreditation is likely to become fully accredited eventually. If the LCME did not feel like they could, then they would not have given them the preliminary accreditation in the first place. However, this type of environment (new curriculum, faculty, etc) is not for all learners.

Reactions: 3 users
What exactly are your concerns? Also, not trying to be a jerk but why did you send your primary to schools you had concerns with?
I'm only referring to a couple of schools in California and I didn't know when I initially applied.

1) don't apply to schools that you have concerns about
2) to my knowledge, any school that can accept applicants in the US has at least preliminary accreditation. A school will not have full accreditation until it is ready to graduate its first class.
3) these new schools want full accreditation and will work hard to make sure their students succeed. So a school with preliminary accreditation is likely to become fully accredited eventually. If the LCME did not feel like they could, then they would not have given them the preliminary accreditation in the first place. However, this type of environment (new curriculum, faculty, etc) is not for all learners.
I didn't know about this when I applied to them initially but okay that's what I was looking for. Essentially preliminary accreditation is okay because they'll be on track eventually right?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm only referring to a couple of schools in California and I didn't know when I initially applied.
Then this means you didn’t look up your schools beforehand and simply indiscriminately selected schools. To anyone from future cycles or anyone still filling out their primary reading, this is a silly tactic.

However, if they have preliminary accreditation then you will be fine. The likelihood of revocation if accreditation within the first decade of a school’s existence are low.

Then this means you didn’t look up your schools beforehand and simply indiscriminately selected schools. To anyone from future cycles or anyone still filling out their primary reading, this is a silly tactic.

However, if they have preliminary accreditation then you will be fine. The likelihood of revocation if accreditation within the first decade of a school’s existence are low.
Well, I did look into them, I just didn't check for accreditation because I assumed all schools are fine or they wouldn't be listed.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I did look into them, I just didn't check for accreditation because I assumed all schools are fine or they wouldn't be listed.
If they are listed on AMCAS or AACOMAS, they are fine as far as accreditation goes. Some of the ADCOMs on here will tell you otherwise about some specific schools, but I do not know the schools or the reasoning. @Goro has a rant they can copypasta if they please.

If they are listed on AMCAS or AACOMAS, they are fine as far as accreditation goes. Some of the ADCOMs on here will tell you otherwise about some specific schools, but I do not know the schools or the reasoning. @Goro has a rant they can copypasta if they please.
Yeah, I figured that's why I would ask. I think neurotic pre-med me just got paranoid after some bad advice for a few schools I thought would be good.

If a school has preliminary accreditation and fails to achieve full accreditation or loses their accreditation (very rare), their students are taken in by other schools.

If a school has preliminary accreditation and fails to achieve full accreditation or loses their accreditation (very rare), their students are taken in by other schools.
There is not anything I am aware of that requires this. It is likely that they will be absorbed by another school, but it is not guaranteed...

For each school ask yourself "If this school is my only acceptance, would I choose to go there or re-apply?"
If your answer is re-apply, then skip the secondary.

Reactions: 2 users
One of these CA schools has chosen not to allow its students access to federal loans and payback mechanism.

For each school ask yourself "If this school is my only acceptance, would I choose to go there or re-apply?"
If your answer is re-apply, then skip the secondary.
I completely agree, thanks dokter.