Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Should I send update letters pre or post interview to schools that extended IIs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by carnivalnorth, 10.01.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. carnivalnorth

carnivalnorth 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Should I be sending update letters to schools from which I have received interview invitations before the interview so they have a chance to review this new information prior to the interview, or after the interview?

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. phunky

phunky 2+ Year Member

After

4. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Neither. Tell them about the updates at your interview.

PreciousHamburgers likes this.
  5. carnivalnorth

Some schools specifically request that you send updates prior to the interview. Wouldn't it follow that other schools would prefer this as well?

6. breakintheroof

breakintheroof MS-Zero 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Update letter policies are school-dependent. You might want to contact schools individually. Opinions about how to maximize the effect of your updates vary--here are a couple of threads that give you a sense of this: 1, 2.

carnivalnorth likes this.
  7. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 1 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Some schools specifically say don't send update letters, while others encourage them, so no, it would not follow that one school's policy reflects what other schools want.

Mr Roboto likes this.
  8. baxt1412

baxt1412 Liftus Maximus 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yep ask the individual schools. But make sure that the updates are worthwhile otherwise you'll be wasting their time and that could reflect badly if, say, you update them on the fact that you got 4 more physician shadowing hours or that you got a new puppy and you've recently taken up jogging as a hobby with your puppy.

Goro likes this.
  9. carnivalnorth

So I called all of the schools with which I have interviews. I asked if they would prefer update letters before, during, or after the interview. They all said it didn't matter but if I wanted the interviewer to have the information to send it prior to the interview.

breakintheroof likes this.

About the ads