Should I Start Applying to D.O Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaxxo

Reaction score
Stats & Demographic Info:

White (Egyptian)
cGPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 517
Community Service: 1000 or so hours total
Paid Employment: 3000 hours or so
Research: 1 Year at M.D. Anderson, 400 hours, no publications

In-state Texas Resident, applied to all TX MD and DO schools

OOS List:
  • Drexel ()
  • Rush ()
  • Tulane ()
  • Baylor ()
  • UMKC ()
  • Wright State ()
  • Rosalind Franklin ()
  • Frank H. Netter ()
  • Boston U ()
  • Albany ()
  • Howard ()
  • Loyola ()
  • Florida Atlantic U. (
  • UNT/TCU ()
  • UVM Larner ()
  • Virginia Tech Carillion ()
  • Morehouse ()

Just finished my OOS Secondaries and IS Secondaries have been turned in since early July. Haven't gotten any IS Interview Invites yet so I am wondering if I should be on the safe side and just apply to some OOS DO schools or if my OOS list/stats are enough to potentially net me a spot in state.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told a lot by many people that I'm fine and as long as I don't bomb interviews I have a fair chance, but watching all my other IS Texas applicants get interviews while im just waiting around is making me a bit antsy.

I don't mind the gap year, I mind repeating this application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howard and Morehouse are HBCU’s and preferentially accept minority, especially AA applicants. Your OP states you are white. UMKC is a state school with its own linked program, would be very surprised if you got an II there. Florida Atlantic takes mostly IS applicants.

it not too late, I would add other schools to replace those four.

Reactions: 1 users
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. OOS MD schools interview few Texas residents with no connection to the school or state since they know from years of experience that Texas residents will attend a Texas school. TCU-UNT,Baylor and Tulane are realistic but not the others. If no interviews by November add more DO schools and consider these:
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
MU-COM
PCOM
LECOM (all schools)
CUSOM

I've been told a lot by many people that I'm fine and as long as I don't bomb interviews I have a fair chance, but watching all my other IS Texas applicants get interviews while im just waiting around is making me a bit antsy.

I don't mind the gap year, I mind repeating this application process.
Patience is a virtue; the need for instant gratification is not.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out secondaries or IIs merely in chronological order.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

Not directed at you, OP, but SDNers are advised to not to have the mindset of “I sent in my apps; where are my IIs???!!!”

Reactions: 1 user
Howard and Morehouse are HBCU’s and preferentially accept minority, especially AA applicants. Your OP states you are white. UMKC is a state school with its own linked program, would be very surprised if you got an II there. Florida Atlantic takes mostly IS applicants.

it not too late, I would add other schools to replace those four.
Sounds good I will look into other schools as well

I wouldn't worry too much. I had lower stats than you (slightly lower MCAT, lower GPA), and didn't get my first interview from a Texas school until around this time last year. It's still incredibly early. For what it's worth, I ended up with 5 interviews from only Texas schools (4 MD, 1 DO). I applied to around 8 AMCAS schools outside of Texas and had no luck with any of them. I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least 2 interviews from Texas schools