Should I Stay In Six Year PharmD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

giovannile07

MCPHS University PharmD C/O 2017
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if I'm suppose to post this here, so if this is the incorrect place to put it then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they need to.

Anyways, right now I am a freshman at MCPHS Boston in their six year PharmD program. I don't mind pharmacy, but I honestly do not want to become a pharmacist for any other reason than the extrinsic pursuit of earning a good salary. For a long time since I was eight I've wanted to be a veterinarian and now I'm even considering being a doctor, although I know both are very hard to get to... I don't know whether I want to transfer or not because my aunt and uncle, who have three kids going to my school are all doing pharmacy, are trying to convince me to stay in pharmacy, but I'm not sure if I want to study for a job I don't even really want. Yes, now there's reality, not everyone is going to have a job they want, but hey why can't I try to? My uncle says I should do pharmacy for six years and then when I'm done I can just go to medical school or veterinarian school and will more likely be able to get into these schools because I would be Doctor of Pharmacy. I don't know if I should get out or not... My first semester I earned a 3.58 GPA (rounded up the last digit). By the way, my aunt doesn't think I can do well on the MCAT if I do try to become a doctor and my uncle believes that it will be unlikely and less safe if I think this path. If I do transfer back I plan on transferring to community college for my second year and then transferring into a UC from there.

Also, I really don't mind pharmacy in its entirety, I just hate the school a lot, like I get very depressed at MCPHS... Like I feel like I don't belong at all and I don't know if I can handle that for six years... For example, if you Also, I'm not a big fan of Boston, I just don't like the city, no offense to those who like it, it's just not my type of city... So, are there any other 6 year PharmD schools I could transfer to?

So, all in all, should I stay in pharmacy at MCPHS or should I try to pursue another major? This obviously might be a hard question to answer for me since you guys don't know me, but is pharmacy worth the time if I'm in it just for a job that will earn me money and probably secure me a job? Thanks in advanced to people who answer my thread...
 
Hey I am currently a third year over there, and honestly i don't really mind the school at all anymore because I know the main reason why I am there is for my pharmd. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but do you have a close group of friends? B/c I feel like that makes or breaks your experience at mcp bc it is a really small school.Grades wise, I think you are doing really well and 2nd year is going to be A LOT easier then how it is right now. You can still transfer and pursue a career in medicine, however it will be quite hard and just think about how many people would really like to be in your shoes right now by being in a 6 year pharmacy program.
actually on second thought leave so there are more cubbies avail for us🙂 jk jk 😀D
 
Keep in mind if you decide to transfer that more is expected of you than of those applying right out of high school. You will have to take the PCAT for those 0-6 programs accepting transfers that require it (basically not MCPHS) and have some pharmacy work experience so adcoms can't use "lacks work experience" against you, so you might as well consider all the other PharmD programs where you have to compete a little for admission.

Also, merely having a PharmD doesn't really give you an edge in anything. I doubt relying solely on APPE rotations for "clinical experience" is going to help at all. You will also have to do all the usual things that competitive med school applicants do to make yourself a strong applicant. I think maybe one student from MCP (lol) went to a non-Caribbean allopathic school (Tufts) in the last 2-3 years, so it CAN be done. MCP is hardly a fertile environment for prospective med school applicants, so you might have to work at it a little more than if you were at a good public research university or liberal arts college. It seems the faculty here are willing to take on students for their research projects if you aren't a total flake and have some motivation.

In the meantime I don't think it would hurt to do some of the events that the professional pharmacy student organizations hold (APhA, ASHP) if only to meet new people just to get your mind off academics. And if you really don't mind pharmacy at all it would help to get some retail tech experience if possible (not saying you will get like 20 hours/week right off the bat though) so you can see if you think you can tolerate that kind of work environment.

I don't know if I'm suppose to post this here, so if this is the incorrect place to put it then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they need to.

Anyways, right now I am a freshman at MCPHS Boston in their six year PharmD program. I don't mind pharmacy, but I honestly do not want to become a pharmacist for any other reason than the extrinsic pursuit of earning a good salary. For a long time since I was eight I've wanted to be a veterinarian and now I'm even considering being a doctor, although I know both are very hard to get to... I don't know whether I want to transfer or not because my aunt and uncle, who have three kids going to my school are all doing pharmacy, are trying to convince me to stay in pharmacy, but I'm not sure if I want to study for a job I don't even really want. Yes, now there's reality, not everyone is going to have a job they want, but hey why can't I try to? My uncle says I should do pharmacy for six years and then when I'm done I can just go to medical school or veterinarian school and will more likely be able to get into these schools because I would be Doctor of Pharmacy. I don't know if I should get out or not... My first semester I earned a 3.58 GPA (rounded up the last digit). By the way, my aunt doesn't think I can do well on the MCAT if I do try to become a doctor and my uncle believes that it will be unlikely and less safe if I think this path. If I do transfer back I plan on transferring to community college for my second year and then transferring into a UC from there.

Also, I really don't mind pharmacy in its entirety, I just hate the school a lot, like I get very depressed at MCPHS... Like I feel like I don't belong at all and I don't know if I can handle that for six years... For example, if you Also, I'm not a big fan of Boston, I just don't like the city, no offense to those who like it, it's just not my type of city... So, are there any other 6 year PharmD schools I could transfer to?

So, all in all, should I stay in pharmacy at MCPHS or should I try to pursue another major? This obviously might be a hard question to answer for me since you guys don't know me, but is pharmacy worth the time if I'm in it just for a job that will earn me money and probably secure me a job? Thanks in advanced to people who answer my thread...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just FYI... it's better not to use your actual name in any forum user name. (I could infer that you're getting advice from nosy Vietnamese relatives who may mean well but may not actually know anything. ESPECIALLY if they aren't even practicing pharmacists...)
 
I would suggest trying to get work experience (assuming you haven't) before you abandon ship. You're fortunate in that you have a pretty secure path towards becoming a pharmacist- don't take that for granted.

On the flip-side, you're still in undergrad. Use this time to shadow other professions and do you're research on your chances of acceptance to other programs. It's better to change gears these first two years as opposed to once you're actually in the Pharmacy program.

And quite frankly, your family doesn't seem to understand med school admissions. Yes it's more competitive and you're safely in a program for now, but your MCAT score will hold more weight than a Pharm. D. you wasted six years on.
 
I don't know if I'm suppose to post this here, so if this is the incorrect place to put it then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they need to.

Anyways, right now I am a freshman at MCPHS Boston in their six year PharmD program. I don't mind pharmacy, but I honestly do not want to become a pharmacist for any other reason than the extrinsic pursuit of earning a good salary. For a long time since I was eight I've wanted to be a veterinarian and now I'm even considering being a doctor, although I know both are very hard to get to... I don't know whether I want to transfer or not because my aunt and uncle, who have three kids going to my school are all doing pharmacy, are trying to convince me to stay in pharmacy, but I'm not sure if I want to study for a job I don't even really want. Yes, now there's reality, not everyone is going to have a job they want, but hey why can't I try to? My uncle says I should do pharmacy for six years and then when I'm done I can just go to medical school or veterinarian school and will more likely be able to get into these schools because I would be Doctor of Pharmacy. I don't know if I should get out or not... My first semester I earned a 3.58 GPA (rounded up the last digit). By the way, my aunt doesn't think I can do well on the MCAT if I do try to become a doctor and my uncle believes that it will be unlikely and less safe if I think this path. If I do transfer back I plan on transferring to community college for my second year and then transferring into a UC from there.

Also, I really don't mind pharmacy in its entirety, I just hate the school a lot, like I get very depressed at MCPHS... Like I feel like I don't belong at all and I don't know if I can handle that for six years... For example, if you Also, I'm not a big fan of Boston, I just don't like the city, no offense to those who like it, it's just not my type of city... So, are there any other 6 year PharmD schools I could transfer to?

So, all in all, should I stay in pharmacy at MCPHS or should I try to pursue another major? This obviously might be a hard question to answer for me since you guys don't know me, but is pharmacy worth the time if I'm in it just for a job that will earn me money and probably secure me a job? Thanks in advanced to people who answer my thread...

Apparently no one else so far shares this view, but the bolded above makes this an open and shut case, in my opinion. While your aunt and uncle have good intentions I'm sure, they shouldn't play much of a factor in your decision. Were you in your 4th or 5th year, I may say to gut it out to the end, but at this point you have plenty of time to change course. Look into vet school!
 
Hey I am currently a third year over there, and honestly i don't really mind the school at all anymore because I know the main reason why I am there is for my pharmd. I'm not trying to put you down or anything, but do you have a close group of friends? B/c I feel like that makes or breaks your experience at mcp bc it is a really small school.Grades wise, I think you are doing really well and 2nd year is going to be A LOT easier then how it is right now. You can still transfer and pursue a career in medicine, however it will be quite hard and just think about how many people would really like to be in your shoes right now by being in a 6 year pharmacy program.
actually on second thought leave so there are more cubbies avail for us🙂 jk jk 😀D
Oh really, one of my cousins is in third year. Yeah, my cousins said they don't mind going to the school anymore. Eh sort of, I just hang out with my cousin in my year and this other guy once in a while, but most of the time I just stay in my room, other than that no... I'm social like I'll talk to a bunch of people in class, but I'll never hang out with them after class like they're chill, but I just don't feel as if I fit with any of them... Yeah, there's not much of a college experience at MCPHS, which really sucks because when I was in high school I was very involved with my school, had a lot of school spirit, and I did dance and show choir... Here I have none of those, I have no school spirit. Thanks, is it really easier second year? I've never heard that before, the only things I hear is how third year and fourth year are hard. Yeah, I realize how lucky I am and I appreciate it, but I cannot deny how depressed I get when I go to this school. Haha I wish there were more...

Just FYI... it's better not to use your actual name in any forum user name. (I could infer that you're getting advice from nosy Vietnamese relatives who may mean well but may not actually know anything. ESPECIALLY if they aren't even practicing pharmacists...)
I see is there any way I can change it on here? I don't really mind using it, but on this it might be more of a concern, but I use it on other forums. Yeah, haha I guess you can say that, my uncle is a doctor though. On my mother's side though, one of my cousins is a pharmacist and the other teaches pharmacology for UC San Diego Grad School.

Keep in mind if you decide to transfer that more is expected of you than of those applying right out of high school. You will have to take the PCAT for those 0-6 programs accepting transfers that require it (basically not MCPHS) and have some pharmacy work experience so adcoms can't use "lacks work experience" against you, so you might as well consider all the other PharmD programs where you have to compete a little for admission.

Also, merely having a PharmD doesn't really give you an edge in anything. I doubt relying solely on APPE rotations for "clinical experience" is going to help at all. You will also have to do all the usual things that competitive med school applicants do to make yourself a strong applicant. I think maybe one student from MCP (lol) went to a non-Caribbean allopathic school (Tufts) in the last 2-3 years, so it CAN be done. MCP is hardly a fertile environment for prospective med school applicants, so you might have to work at it a little more than if you were at a good public research university or liberal arts college. It seems the faculty here are willing to take on students for their research projects if you aren't a total flake and have some motivation.

In the meantime I don't think it would hurt to do some of the events that the professional pharmacy student organizations hold (APhA, ASHP) if only to meet new people just to get your mind off academics. And if you really don't mind pharmacy at all it would help to get some retail tech experience if possible (not saying you will get like 20 hours/week right off the bat though) so you can see if you think you can tolerate that kind of work environment.
So, would you recommend transferring to another pharmacy school or do you think it wouldn't be worth it?

So, basically doing pharmacy while not wanting to be a pharmacist is useless if I want to pursue a different career? Also, my uncle said I could lease my license and make a pharmacy and have pharmacists work for me, but seeing as how CVS, Walgreens, and the others are huge competitors, doesn't seem like I will be able to get good business when there are these companies ruling the pharmacy business. So, if I plan to go into medical or veterinary school, MCPHS won't provide me with the resources to have a better chance of getting into those schools or the connections. By the way, I've heard the pre-med program at MCPHS isn't good, that they have no good connections and they don't prepare you for the MCAT or medical school.

I currently am in AMCP. I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate the situation, but I'll see if I can get a tech job in the summer maybe if I decide to stay. I'm a pretty sensitive guy and I heard people get really rude customers at pharmacies or maybe it's Boston.

I would suggest trying to get work experience (assuming you haven't) before you abandon ship. You're fortunate in that you have a pretty secure path towards becoming a pharmacist- don't take that for granted.

On the flip-side, you're still in undergrad. Use this time to shadow other professions and do you're research on your chances of acceptance to other programs. It's better to change gears these first two years as opposed to once you're actually in the Pharmacy program.

And quite frankly, your family doesn't seem to understand med school admissions. Yes it's more competitive and you're safely in a program for now, but your MCAT score will hold more weight than a Pharm. D. you wasted six years on.
Yes, I don't take it for granted that's why it is a difficult choice for me because I feel like if I leave and I don't do well outside of MCPHS, I just let my opportunity for a six year PharmD program slip out of my hands and I know I won't be able to get it back... I'll see if I can a working opportunity.

Yeah, I'm trying to research and see what it is a better opportunity for me. I don't want to regret the choice I make, do you have anywhere that would be a good place to search? Mhmm, that's why I want to figure out as soon as possible to get out or not because if I go back home next year for community college I will be given priority in going to a UC.

Yeah, I don't really rely on them too much for information like that because I don't think they know what they're talking about all the time, but I don't omit everything they say.

Edit: But my uncle also has said by going through pharmacy I will be prepared for med school because he said they have the same curriculum for the most part.
 
Last edited:
Apparently no one else so far shares this view, but the bolded above makes this an open and shut case, in my opinion. While your aunt and uncle have good intentions I'm sure, they shouldn't play much of a factor in your decision. Were you in your 4th or 5th year, I may say to gut it out to the end, but at this point you have plenty of time to change course. Look into vet school!
Mhmm, some people I know such as my cousin has said before they were disinterested in pharmacy or were not sure if it was right for them, but they grew to love it. I don't know if that will happen to me though. They don't play too much of a decision, but sometimes I feel peer pressured into doing it. Alright, I'll take a look into vet school. 🙂
 
"University of the Pacific offers a 5-year, or "2+3," Pharm.D. program to qualified first-time freshmen. They also offer a 6-year, or "3+3," Pharm.D. program to freshmen who do not meet the requirements for the "2+3" program."

Read this in the Pre-Pharmacy FAQs Thread, does the University of the Pacific accept transfers from another six year PharmD school and is the University of the Pacific a good school?
 
I was in a six year program in the east coast. It is very difficult to transfer to UOP so I decided to stay and finish my six year program.
 
I was in a six year program in the east coast. It is very difficult to transfer to UOP so I decided to stay and finish my six year program.
Alright, thank you very much for the insight, do you think it would be possible to switch from MCPHS to possibly some other six year PharmD program at another school in the East Coast or was that still relatively hard?
 
You would not be considered a first-time freshman for almost any 2+4, 0-6, 3+3 whatever program (there COULD be one or two exceptions other than MCP, but I don't know of them) because you've already enrolled in an undergraduate program (doesn't matter if it's 0-6 PharmD).

If you applied to UoP now for fall 2013 you would probably be considered along with all the other applicants in a more competitive process (including those with bachelor degrees; most applying through PharmCAS and matriculating there hold bachelor degrees).

If you applied to other 0-6 programs NOW (for fall 2013... seems way too late for fall 2012) it is unclear how they would handle your case (you would have to check). If they do not accept anyone into year 2 (like NEU), then you would be considered for admission into year 3 along with all the transfer applicants and this is a more competitive process. Do not necessarily count on being able to recycle all the stuff you did to apply to MCP from high school and succeeding.

Note that by the time you "transfer" to a different pharmacy program you would be a P1 at MCP (fall 2013), so it's not really worth it if you merely hate the quality of "student life" at MCP (you can learn to adapt). No one really has school spirit here except all the derps but you can't really expect a "typical undergrad experience" here because it just isn't
 
MCPHS Boston was a ton of work and hassle. If you don't want to be a pharmacist, I would consider other options ASAP. You might be interested in nursing or the PA program if you want to avoid the trouble of changing schools and are more interested in MD like roles.

I saw too many classmates switch into Pharm... Bachelors programs and Health Psych out of desperation and spend way too much money on degrees without corresponding real-world value. Just DO NOT go to MCP for premed.
 
You would not be considered a first-time freshman for almost any 2+4, 0-6, 3+3 whatever program (there COULD be one or two exceptions other than MCP, but I don't know of them) because you've already enrolled in an undergraduate program (doesn't matter if it's 0-6 PharmD).

If you applied to UoP now for fall 2013 you would probably be considered along with all the other applicants in a more competitive process (including those with bachelor degrees; most applying through PharmCAS and matriculating there hold bachelor degrees).

If you applied to other 0-6 programs NOW (for fall 2013... seems way too late for fall 2012) it is unclear how they would handle your case (you would have to check). If they do not accept anyone into year 2 (like NEU), then you would be considered for admission into year 3 along with all the transfer applicants and this is a more competitive process. Do not necessarily count on being able to recycle all the stuff you did to apply to MCP from high school and succeeding.

Note that by the time you "transfer" to a different pharmacy program you would be a P1 at MCP (fall 2013), so it's not really worth it if you merely hate the quality of "student life" at MCP (you can learn to adapt). No one really has school spirit here except all the derps but you can't really expect a "typical undergrad experience" here because it just isn't
Sorry for the super late response, but I think it's still worth a try to see if I can transfer. I will call to see what UOP and other schools will do if I tried to transfer.

Yeah, I understand the process will probably be harder, but hopefully I can grind it out, do you think there is any extracurricular activities I can do to make a transfer application look better?

What is a P1 exactly? Sorry, for my lack of knowledge... :/ I see, you go to MCPHS or use to go?

MCPHS Boston was a ton of work and hassle. If you don't want to be a pharmacist, I would consider other options ASAP. You might be interested in nursing or the PA program if you want to avoid the trouble of changing schools and are more interested in MD like roles.

I saw too many classmates switch into Pharm... Bachelors programs and Health Psych out of desperation and spend way too much money on degrees without corresponding real-world value. Just DO NOT go to MCP for premed.
Yeah, I feel like it's that way. I think if I do stay at this school PharmD is the best route, I don't think nursing or the PA program is what I'm looking for, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, a lot of people are scrambling to switch into PharmD or some other class here. Mhm, I've heard the horrid things about the pre-med program at MCPHS that they don't prepare you for the MCAT or Med school, my friend got accepted for a transfer to St. John's for their medical program, I think it's a seven year program or something and I don't know why he didn't take it, he rather just stay at MCPHS even after hearing about how bad the pre-med program is. He said last year only half the students in pre-med made it into some med school.
 
One option is that you should stay in pharmacy school and finish up. The med/vet school admissions committee will expect you to finish what you started. How do they know you won't just drop out after matriculating to their programs if you dropped out of pharmacy school?

Now if you will be in substantial debt after graduating from pharmacy school, maybe you can consider dropping out and get a bachelor's degree since you are only a freshman. *You can just explain to admissions committee that you considered your options and it's too expensive to finish pharmacy school, and you already decided you want to do vet/med, so that's why you dropped out and got a bachelors instead. *If you can explain yourself for your actions, you should be ok.

Don't do pharmacy for the money. Pursue your passion in a career in vet/med. You will be happier. You are only in year one out of six and you are already having doubts. These doubts are not going to go away. Get some clinical exposure, study for MCAT over the summer, do some research work, get a degree and apply to med school.


P1 is pharmacy school year 1. If you are in the six year program that's your third year out of six.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are getting some dumb advice here... If you don't want to be a pharmacist, don't earn a PharmD. You are, I presume, 18 years old and can be forgiven for not fully knowing what you want fom life. It would be stupid to incur the expense of 6 years for a PharmD, then med school prerequisites, then med school... Don't do it. Go home, transfer to CC, take some Gen Ed courses, be young,and explore your career interests.
 
You are getting some dumb advice here... If you don't want to be a pharmacist, don't earn a PharmD. You are, I presume, 18 years old and can be forgiven for not fully knowing what you want fom life. It would be stupid to incur the expense of 6 years for a PharmD, then med school prerequisites, then med school... Don't do it. Go home, transfer to CC, take some Gen Ed courses, be young,and explore your career interests.

Yea, you're actually in a great position since you've just started. But you need to be decisive. Leave the program and don't look back.
 
I don't know if I'm suppose to post this here, so if this is the incorrect place to put it then I'm sorry and the mods can do whatever they need to.

Anyways, right now I am a freshman at MCPHS Boston in their six year PharmD program. I don't mind pharmacy, but I honestly do not want to become a pharmacist for any other reason than the extrinsic pursuit of earning a good salary. For a long time since I was eight I've wanted to be a veterinarian and now I'm even considering being a doctor, although I know both are very hard to get to...

Pharmacy is NOT where you make money. You get decent salary. Nothing extravagant.

Bi-weekly Pay of Annual Income of $125,000.00 (max 401k $17,000)
gross pay $4,807.69
federal income tax $679.44
social security tax $177.85
medicare tax $69.71
state income tax $447.12
401k deductions $653.54
final pay check $2,780.03

If you add back door ROTH -$192/month.

Final paycheck $2588/2 weeks or $5k/month. This is hardly rich; comfortable but not rich... If you want money, be a specialist MD or dentist, where you can make 4X that much. You will hate yourself if you are in this profession for money only since the money is simply NOT there.
 
Momus, he said he wanted to make a good salary. Pharmacy is a good salary. There is significant opportunity and other cost incurred by pursuing medicine or dentistry instead of pharmacy. And MOST physicians/dentists do not make 4X what a pharmacist makes. It is a crapshoot whether one will be able to match into an ultra-lucrative speciality.

That said, the OP is young and isn't really interested in pharmacy. He should pursue something else.
 
Momus, he said he wanted to make a good salary. Pharmacy is a good salary. There is significant opportunity and other cost incurred by pursuing medicine or dentistry instead of pharmacy. And MOST physicians/dentists do not make 4X what a pharmacist makes. It is a crapshoot whether one will be able to match into an ultra-lucrative speciality.

That said, the OP is young and isn't really interested in pharmacy. He should pursue something else.

+1. I'm tired of hearing about how pharmacists don't make good money. Most people spend their careers trying to make what we make. Geez.
 
+1. I'm tired of hearing about how pharmacists don't make good money. Most people spend their careers trying to make what we make. Geez.

RIGHT?!?! My husband has been working for a Fortune 500 company for 15 years and doesn't make nearly as much as I do. All of these people who are like, "Oh, just go earn six figures doing something else!" people are just DUMB.

And LMAO at people who think the "weather girl" makes 6 figures. :meanie:
 
RIGHT?!?! My husband has been working for a Fortune 500 company for 15 years and doesn't make nearly as much as I do. All of these people who are like, "Oh, just go earn six figures doing something else!" people are just DUMB.

And LMAO at people who think the "weather girl" makes 6 figures. :meanie:

Lol consider the source.
 
+1. I'm tired of hearing about how pharmacists don't make good money. Most people spend their careers trying to make what we make. Geez.

You said good. I said decent. There is good enough and there is good. $60k/year take home after deductions is not good for me but good enough. When some people in my family has a net worth ranging from $5-$100M abroad, I tend to have very different perspective on what is rich and what is decent. In USA, as common as 1 out of 8 people will make over $100k. You can view this is quite rare. I say it's common. We simply have different perspective.
 
You said good. I said decent. There is good enough and there is good. $60k/year take home after deductions is not good for me but good enough. When some people in my family has a net worth ranging from $5-$100M abroad, I tend to have very different perspective on what is rich and what is decent. In USA, as common as 1 out of 8 people will make over $100k. You can view this is quite rare. I say it's common. We simply have different perspective.

Lulz, whatev dude.
 
Lulz, whatev dude.

Ditto.

Greed is one of my top seven deadly sins. :meanie:

Better get out of pharmacy QUICK and do something more lucrative. May I suggest one of the following:

International Sales Rep
Victoria's Secret Model
SUPERMODEL
Trophy wife/husband

One of those should do you fine. :meanie::laugh:
 
Ditto.



Better get out of pharmacy QUICK and do something more lucrative. May I suggest one of the following:

International Sales Rep
Victoria's Secret Model
SUPERMODEL
Trophy wife/husband
Weather girl

One of those should do you fine. :meanie::laugh:

Fixed.
 
You said good. I said decent. There is good enough and there is good. $60k/year take home after deductions is not good for me but good enough. When some people in my family has a net worth ranging from $5-$100M abroad, I tend to have very different perspective on what is rich and what is decent. In USA, as common as 1 out of 8 people will make over $100k. You can view this is quite rare. I say it's common. We simply have different perspective.

Pray tell which skill you currently possess (or skills that are easily obtainable at a low cost) that will allow you to net a "decent" salary?
 
Ditto.



Better get out of pharmacy QUICK and do something more lucrative. May I suggest one of the following:

International Sales Rep
Victoria's Secret Model
SUPERMODEL
Trophy wife/husband

One of those should do you fine. :meanie::laugh:

I better hit the gym and grow a six pack soon then! You gonna be my sugar momma?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are getting some dumb advice here... If you don't want to be a pharmacist, don't earn a PharmD. You are, I presume, 18 years old and can be forgiven for not fully knowing what you want fom life. It would be stupid to incur the expense of 6 years for a PharmD, then med school prerequisites, then med school... Don't do it. Go home, transfer to CC, take some Gen Ed courses, be young,and explore your career interests.

I am not telling him to stay in or drop out, I am simply listing the options in both ways, followed by my opinion. Maybe you didn't finish reading my post, or maybe you just think other opinions are dumb.
 
Last edited:
You said good. I said decent. There is good enough and there is good. $60k/year take home after deductions is not good for me but good enough. When some people in my family has a net worth ranging from $5-$100M abroad, I tend to have very different perspective on what is rich and what is decent. In USA, as common as 1 out of 8 people will make over $100k. You can view this is quite rare. I say it's common. We simply have different perspective.

You must be living in an alternate reality, in the usa everyone else is living in, 100k is top 5% of wage earners. Source: us census bureau
 
Last edited:
Even with the $100k+ salary, don't forget about the rapidly deteriorating job prospects for new graduates. If money and/or job security are your reasons for going into pharmacy, then you better get out now.
 
Last edited: