Should I stick with this potential research opportunity or look somewhere else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_rm_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out research for the summer after M1. The first physician that got back to me had a project idea but had not really planned it out yet (and it sounds like we'll need an additional meeting with another physician to do this). I'm not sure if I'm expected to do a lot of planning or if that's something we would do together. This makes me nervous since I don't have a ton of research experience and our school is requiring us to submit a draft proposal/protocol in about a month. She also takes days to respond because she's pretty busy and that's even when I'm repeatedly emailing her. I feel like there isn't a ton of direction but I'm not sure how hands off things are now that I'm a medical student and if that comes with higher expecations.

Is this what I should expect when it comes to physician research mentors? Or would it be better to join an ongoing project with someone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Keep this one on the backburner, but keep looking, especially if you're not very passionate about this research topic.

I always highly recommend that M1s try and apply to structured summer research programs (ex: CUPID at Hopkins). They are paid, have fun lectures, build connections to other institutions, and guarentee a poster and/or abstract. Otherwise, try and at least get a project that is interesting and has a good mentor who will communicate with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm trying to figure out research for the summer after M1. The first physician that got back to me had a project idea but had not really planned it out yet (and it sounds like we'll need an additional meeting with another physician to do this). I'm not sure if I'm expected to do a lot of planning or if that's something we would do together. This makes me nervous since I don't have a ton of research experience and our school is requiring us to submit a draft proposal/protocol in about a month. She also takes days to respond because she's pretty busy and that's even when I'm repeatedly emailing her. I feel like there isn't a ton of direction but I'm not sure how hands off things are now that I'm a medical student and if that comes with higher expecations.

Is this what I should expect when it comes to physician research mentors? Or would it be better to join an ongoing project with someone else?
This research project sounds like it is going absolutely nowhere. I would email PhDs and PhD students at your institution as they will have projects that you can immediately jump into.

Reactions: 1 user
Different PIs have different levels of expectations. If you feel you need more handholding (which is fine--I needed handholding even as a fellow) then this doesn't seem like a good PI for you.

Reactions: 1 users