Should I still review alkene chemistry? (organic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that they stopped testing it a while ago, but I remember it being a huge part of my ochem 1 class (>50%), It feels a bit odd that they'd just outright stop testing it. I'm not sure I trust it.....(kinda like there claim that they only test first year bio :smuggrin:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd still learn the basics about the double bond. I wouldn't learn all the synthesis reactions. Remember things like keto-enol tautomerization involves some double bond chemistry.

I've heard that they stopped testing it a while ago, but I remember it being a huge part of my ochem 1 class (>50%), It feels a bit odd that they'd just outright stop testing it. I'm not sure I trust it.....(kinda like there claim that they only test first year bio :smuggrin:)

I would learn about dienes and trienes (which can still be tested) and their use specifically in electrocyclic reactions like the Diels Alder and addition reactions (1,4- versus 1,2-). But other than structural features, I wouldn't study alkenes.

And as far as trusting it goes, I've read through pretty much every "official" thread for tests here at SDN, at not once in the last three years has anyone mentioned that they had a passage or a question on alkene chemistry. It may seem odd why they'd omit such an integral part of organic chemistry, but it appears that they really did.