Should I stop pursuing medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentalhealthnut

Reaction score
Hello!

I know there are literally thousands of posts about the chances of getting into medical school with failed pre-med courses. However, I haven't been able to find an applicant who shares a similar story to mine.

To make a long story short, I really struggled with my mental health during my freshman year of college. In turn, I got a D in physics, gen chem 2, psychology, and calculus. After getting my life together and transferring schools twice, I retook psychology and calculus and got an A in both courses. I am planning on re-taking physics this coming semester.

When I decided to re-attempt the gen chem 2 course over the summer, the COVID-19 pandemic hit. The course was entirely online and I missed one exam, which resulted in me getting a D in gen chem 2 again. I did decide to take the Pass/Fail option instead of the letter grade so it wouldn't be a blow to my GPA. Here's where I stand:

Current Pre-Reqs
  • Chemistry 1 + Lab: B+
  • Chemistry 2 + Lab (1st attempt): D in course, A in lab.
    • Chemistry 2 (2nd attempt): D+
  • Physics 1 + Lab (1st attempt): D
    • Physics 1 + Lab (2nd attempt): in progress (hopefully an A)
  • Statistics: in progress
Pre-reqs to be completed:

1. Chemistry 2
  2. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2
  3. Physics 2
  4. Biology 1 and 2
  5. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2
  6. Biochemistry

I could make all the excuses in the world about why I couldn't manage to pass gen chem 2. At the end of the day, the admissions committee is going to see the D twice on my transcript for gen. chem 2. Is this a death sentence in terms of my chances of getting into a D.O. program? What should I do? Should I enroll to take the class for the third time or am I beating a dead horse?

It's just extremely frustrating because I have been able to secure a 4.0 GPA for the last two semesters and I KNOW that I have what it takes to pass these courses. I feel like my mental health issues got in the way of my ability to perform well, and I have no control over that. The only thing I CAN control is how I respond to my situation. I don't want to keep wasting time and accumulating debt if my chances of getting into medical school are near to zero.

Members don't see this ad.

Feel free to DM me. However I failed multiple classes (microbiology and algebra) TWICE.

If medicine is what you want and you will take the time to prove you can handle the rigors, then stick with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I know there are literally thousands of posts about the chances of getting into medical school with failed pre-med courses. However, I haven't been able to find an applicant who shares a similar story to mine.

To make a long story short, I really struggled with my mental health during my freshman year of college. In turn, I got a D in physics, gen chem 2, psychology, and calculus. After getting my life together and transferring schools twice, I retook psychology and calculus and got an A in both courses. I am planning on re-taking physics this coming semester.

When I decided to re-attempt the gen chem 2 course over the summer, the COVID-19 pandemic hit. The course was entirely online and I missed one exam, which resulted in me getting a D in gen chem 2 again. I did decide to take the Pass/Fail option instead of the letter grade so it wouldn't be a blow to my GPA. Here's where I stand:

Current Pre-Reqs
  • Chemistry 1 + Lab: B+
  • Chemistry 2 + Lab (1st attempt): D in course, A in lab.
    • Chemistry 2 (2nd attempt): D+
  • Physics 1 + Lab (1st attempt): D
    • Physics 1 + Lab (2nd attempt): in progress (hopefully an A)
  • Statistics: in progress
Pre-reqs to be completed:

1. Chemistry 2
  2. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2
  3. Physics 2
  4. Biology 1 and 2
  5. Organic Chemistry 1 and 2
  6. Biochemistry

I could make all the excuses in the world about why I couldn't manage to pass gen chem 2. At the end of the day, the admissions committee is going to see the D twice on my transcript for gen. chem 2. Is this a death sentence in terms of my chances of getting into a D.O. program? What should I do? Should I enroll to take the class for the third time or am I beating a dead horse?

It's just extremely frustrating because I have been able to secure a 4.0 GPA for the last two semesters and I KNOW that I have what it takes to pass these courses. I feel like my mental health issues got in the way of my ability to perform well, and I have no control over that. The only thing I CAN control is how I respond to my situation. I don't want to keep wasting time and accumulating debt if my chances of getting into medical school are near to zero.

If it is what you want, don’t quit. You still have a long way to go and still have time to improve. Worst case, do a SMP after. I personally know 2 people who had to repeat multiple classes in undergrad, gen chem, orgo, and biochem. Both learned from their mistakes, did a SMP, and successfully matriculated into MD schools. Your chances are not near to zero, but I would advise to keep working to find ways to cope!

Reactions: 1 users