Should I Study 6 months for the DAT while in school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amirrr123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of studying for the DAT using DATbooster for the next 6 months. I am currently a full time student. I plan on studying 1-2 hours a day while I am in school for the next 3 months to get a feel for the material. Then, when winter break comes around, I will be studying for 5-8 hours a day for the following 2-3 months. Has anyone done something similar to this and is it a good idea? I do not believe I will be over working myself since the first 3 months is light studying and then the following 3 months are heavy. Please let me know if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or an input on this idea. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of studying for the DAT using DATbooster for the next 6 months. I am currently a full time student. I plan on studying 1-2 hours a day while I am in school for the next 3 months to get a feel for the material. Then, when winter break comes around, I will be studying for 5-8 hours a day for the following 2-3 months. Has anyone done something similar to this and is it a good idea? I do not believe I will be over working myself since the first 3 months is light studying and then the following 3 months are heavy. Please let me know if anyone has any tips, suggestions, or an input on this idea. Thank you!!!
I have worked with students for many years and one thing I have learned is that all students have their own study style, your plan sounds like a great plan for you, but might not work for all students. Some students need more time to study because they need a lot more review time and some students already have a strong foundation. As far as a tip you should build a good foundation and know the concepts do not take the exam until you feel completely prepared even if it does not end up falling into your study plan. The goal is to #think30 and take the exam one time.

Hope this helps, wishing you the best.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers

Reactions: 1 users
I have worked with students for many years and one thing I have learned is that all students have their own study style, your plan sounds like a great plan for you, but might not work for all students. Some students need more time to study because they need a lot more review time and some students already have a strong foundation. As far as a tip you should build a good foundation and know the concepts do not take the exam until you feel completely prepared even if it does not end up falling into your study plan. The goal is to #think30 and take the exam one time.

Hope this helps, wishing you the best.

Thank you for the tip!! I will be keeping that in mind as I continue to study.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible for you to study over the summer? I studied mainly over the summer but my DAT was about 2 weeks after the Fall semester started. It was really difficult for me to study and the DAT and keep up with schoolwork for those 2 weeks.

Is it possible for you to study over the summer? I studied mainly over the summer but my DAT was about 2 weeks after the Fall semester started. It was really difficult for me to study and the DAT and keep up with schoolwork for those 2 weeks.
Unfortunately, I cannot because I want to catch the application cycle early on. If I study during the summer, I may miss out on the spots available in some dental schools in my state for applying late. I know I can submit my application without my DAT scores, but I heard that they do not review the application until your DAT score is in.

Unfortunately, I cannot because I want to catch the application cycle early on. If I study during the summer, I may miss out on the spots available in some dental schools in my state for applying late. I know I can submit my application without my DAT scores, but I heard that they do not review the application until your DAT score is in.
I understand. It looks like you will have to study during the school year and during winter break. It is possible and has been done before. I wish you the best!

Hi everyone,

6 months is definitely a long time to study, but if you truly believe you will not be overworking yourself, go for it! I also studied for a similar length of time (if not a bit longer), but spend much more time in the 1-2 hours per day period than the longer studying days. Sort of broke down how I went about in my breakdown if that's of any interest to you.

If you do really want to get at the front end of the application cycle, I really don't think it's absolutely necessary to test before mid to the end of May, but again, do what you think is best for you! Just try to avoid a retake because (1) they're stressful and expensive and (2) it will push you later into the cycle than if you were to just reschedule a few weeks out instead.

I'll throw in a plug for maybe incorporating the Destroyers into your workflow. They made it so I could study over such a long period because of just how many questions there were. Always worth giving them a shot, because they definitely work.

Best of luck!

6 months is definitely a long time to study, but if you truly believe you will not be overworking yourself, go for it! I also studied for a similar length of time (if not a bit longer), but spend much more time in the 1-2 hours per day period than the longer studying days. Sort of broke down how I went about in my breakdown if that's of any interest to you.

If you do really want to get at the front end of the application cycle, I really don't think it's absolutely necessary to test before mid to the end of May, but again, do what you think is best for you! Just try to avoid a retake because (1) they're stressful and expensive and (2) it will push you later into the cycle than if you were to just reschedule a few weeks out instead.

I'll throw in a plug for maybe incorporating the Destroyers into your workflow. They made it so I could study over such a long period because of just how many questions there were. Always worth giving them a shot, because they definitely work.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much!! I will definitely be checking out your breakdown. I am glad to see that someone else studied for a long period of time and got into dental school. Gives me hope lol.

I did this, studied light and researched whatever I was unfamiliar with an hour or two per day, then cranked about 8 hours a day for a month and a half. Was pretty happy with my 22AA and 30 PAT

I did this, studied light and researched whatever I was unfamiliar with an hour or two per day, then cranked about 8 hours a day for a month and a half. Was pretty happy with my 22AA and 30 PAT
Congratulations, seems like your path worked for you! I remind students to follow what works for them, and NEVER take the DAT until full prepared.

Wishing you the best in 2022 and beyond.