Should I study during gap year for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J92

Reaction score
Recently got accepted to my dream med school and incredibly excited about it, but with classes not starting till next August I was wondering if anyone thought it might be a worthwhile to try and do any studying beforehand?

The consensus for traditional students seems to be that it'd be a waste of your last long summer to pre study, but as a nontrad my last science class will have been 2 years prior to day 1 of classes. Since my last pre-req. class I took the MCAT and I've just been working as a medical scribe and attorney, so I'm a little nervous all the biochem and physiology I took as a post-grad won't be fresh enough to jump back into classes.

Y'all're amazing and thank you for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your state of residence, I recommend improving your Spanish instead.
Pre-studying for medical school just isn't worth the time.
Thank you very much for the reply! Super cute cat by the way!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Recently got accepted to my dream med school and incredibly excited about it, but with classes not starting till next August I was wondering if anyone thought it might be a worthwhile to try and do any studying beforehand?

The consensus for traditional students seems to be that it'd be a waste of your last long summer to pre study, but as a nontrad my last science class will have been 2 years prior to day 1 of classes. Since my last pre-req. class I took the MCAT and I've just been working as a medical scribe and attorney, so I'm a little nervous all the biochem and physiology I took as a post-grad won't be fresh enough to jump back into classes.

Y'all're amazing and thank you for any and all advice!
Don’t waste your time pre-studying. Relax and enjoy yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on your state of residence, I recommend improving your Spanish instead.
Pre-studying for medical school just isn't worth the time.
I wish, i did that prior to my med school, now i regret it.

Enjoy life, go to mexico or spain and speak to natives in spanish.