Should I study for MCAT & GRE at the same time? If so how do I go about it ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpotatofries!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am in dire need of some advice. I will be graduating in May and my plan is to apply to a one year MS or MBS program and enter this fall 2020. These programs require either the MCAT or GRE. However I do not know what to do because many of these programs have a deadline of May and I am taking my MCAT in April and the results will not be available until late may which is pass the program deadline. I decided maybe I should use the GRE to apply for some of these programs but I am getting overwhelmed trying to study for both. I really need to get into one of these programs for my gap year but I also need to study and do well on the MCAT since I plan to apply this cycle. What do I do? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

It worked for me.
As long as you don't take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success, it should be fine.
The GRE was a piece of cake in comparison.
Thank you! How did you go about doing both ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! How did you go about doing both ?

Did something similar, though I didn't wind up taking the GRE in the end. Just study primarily for the MCAT, take it, and then spend the rest of the time before your GRE studying specifically for that.

The GRE math and science is on the same difficulty level as the SAT/ACT, and falls far below what is expected for the MCAT. The only thing that the GRE has that the MCAT doesn't really have is the writing (which few schools even care about) + logic puzzles/reasoning, and you shouldn't really need to study that much for that. If you're rusty on vocab, you can study that in bursts while you study for the MCAT or after you've taken your MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Did something similar, though I didn't wind up taking the GRE in the end. Just study primarily for the MCAT, take it, and then spend the rest of the time before your GRE studying specifically for that.

The GRE math and science is on the same difficulty level as the SAT/ACT, and falls far below what is expected for the MCAT. The only thing that the GRE has that the MCAT doesn't really have is the writing (which few schools even care about) + logic puzzles/reasoning, and you shouldn't really need to study that much for that. If you're rusty on vocab, you can study that in bursts while you study for the MCAT or after you've taken your MCAT.
Thank you so much I appreciate the advice

When I took the GRE multiple years ago, it wasn't a particularly difficult exam. The hardest part was memorizing a list of 200-300 extremely rare vocabulary words whose definitions were tested in the verbal section. I'm not sure if they've removed that part yet but the other parts weren't too difficult. In math, prepare to use common and basic equations in creative ways because they don't even test up to the level of calculus on that exam. I think you should just spend maybe a short week or two preparing for GRE, taking it, then focusing on MCAT because in the grander scheme of things, that is the more impactful and difficult exam.

Reactions: 1 user
When I took the GRE multiple years ago, it wasn't a particularly difficult exam. The hardest part was memorizing a list of 200-300 extremely rare vocabulary words whose definitions were tested in the verbal section. I'm not sure if they've removed that part yet but the other parts weren't too difficult. In math, prepare to use common and basic equations in creative ways because they don't even test up to the level of calculus on that exam. I think you should just spend maybe a short week or two preparing for GRE, taking it, then focusing on MCAT because in the grander scheme of things, that is the more impactful and difficult exam.
Thank you so much this helps alot !

The GRE is pretty. I used Magoosh and studied for a few days. Scored high enough to get into my current graduate program.

Reactions: 1 user