Should I study....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
--Enzyme kinetics for the biology section of the DAT?? For instance, Km values, or ES complexes, Lineweaver-Burk, Eedie-Hofsteff?

I learned all of this in three of my biology classes, should I reveiw it for the DAT?

--What about different variables that push the hemoglobin/O2 binding curve to the left or the right?

--What about Beta-oxidation vs. Fatty Acid synthesis? (by the way, where do those occur in the cell?)

There's just so much that's not covered in Kaplan it's ridiculous. I've turned to my old college bio book to review. I looked over the scope of the exam in the ADA booklet, and it is so friggin' vague!

-----> ALSO, has anyone taken the test out of the ADA booklet? I took it last week and it was insanely easy. I think I missed a total of 10 science questions out of 100. I'm not even joking...all along I was thinking "I hope this is what the real DAT is like!!"

Good luck to you all, and I hope your studying is going well!

Members don't see this ad.

Heya,

When I took the DATs several years ago (might be different now), I don't ever remember the exam going into the mechanisms of the hemoglobin/bicarbonate buffering system in such detail. If you know what would shift the hemoglobin O2 unloading curve to the right I think that's a bonus. :D (you do know what they are, right? low pH, high blood CO2 concentration, high temperature, etc.)

I remember seeing questions on enzyme kinematics. I think you only need to know the generalities for Km (i.e. not in such detail as knowing how to derive the Michaelis-Menten equation!) and the mechanisms for enzyme action, such as the formation of the ES complex as you mentioned. Definitely be familiar with Lineweaver-Burk, Henderson-Hasselbalch, Eedie-Hofsteff, Bronsted-Lowry, and whatever else two-names-with-a-dash-in-the-middle thingies you can think of. :laugh:

I do remember seeing questions on the DATs on beta oxidation and FA synthesis though. Beta oxidation occurs in the mitochondria while FA synthesis occurs in the cytoplasm.

The sample questions in the DAT booklet are very slim pickings. I wouldn't trust it as an indication for the difficulty of the exam.

Good luck!

UBTom,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it. My test is in 6 days from now, and I've taken almost every test I can get my hands on (besides my kaplan final this tuesday), and my latest score was a 21/25. I almost don't even know how to study anymore. I guess I'll just keep going over notecards, reading my biology book, and praying for the DAT gods to be kind.

If there's anything else you can remember that you might come up on the bio section that was weird, let me know!

I agree with everything that Tom said. Also, you're getting great scores, but keep studying! I took that sample DAT exam and scored a 26/23 -- don't use the one in the book as a method of judging your prep. for the exam!