Should I submit my application early or wait fir MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinCoe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT last year, and due to a death in the family, did not prepare or void score. Anyway, I retested this year, 8/5, and am awaiting scores. My amcas application 90% complete and I will have it done in a week or 2. Should I submit it early, or wait until 9/7 when I get my new scores? I ask because I am concerned schools will reject me based on the first test score, without waiting for the new (and hopefully better) test score.

Our pre-health advisor took another position, so our school doesn't have a formal advisor or committee, therefore, I have no one to seek advice from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Get it verified ASAP. As long as you've designated the retake on your amcas, schools won't even look at your app.

I took the MCAT last year, and due to a death in the family, did not prepare or void score. Anyway, I retested this year, 8/5, and am awaiting scores. My amcas application 90% complete and I will have it done in a week or 2. Should I submit it early, or wait until 9/7 when I get my new scores? I ask because I am concerned schools will reject me based on the first test score, without waiting for the new (and hopefully better) test score.

Our pre-health advisor took another position, so our school doesn't have a formal advisor or committee, therefore, I have no one to seek advice from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
At this point, your application probably won't be verified before you get your MCAT score even if you submitted today.

In addition, schools won't look at your app until they get the score from an indicated future score, even if they do get your application before your score comes in.

So it doesn't matter. Submit ASAP so you're not waiting as long.

If you're worried that your score will be poor, then submit to just one school. Then, if your score is low and you need to wait to apply next year, you will only be a reapplicant at that school

At this point, your application probably won't be verified before you get your MCAT score even if you submitted today.

In addition, schools won't look at your app until they get the score from an indicated future score, even if they do get your application before your score comes in.

So it doesn't matter. Submit ASAP so you're not waiting as long.

If you're worried that your score will be poor, then submit to just one school. Then, if your score is low and you need to wait to apply next year, you will only be a reapplicant at that school

spot on