Should I switch my biomedical engineer major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmathe37

Reaction score
Right now I started my first semester of my freshman year as a biomedical engineering major. I realized that with biomedical engineering as my major the road to medical school will be difficult since A) it will be much harder to attain a competitive gpa B) I won't have as much time for extracurricular activities such as research, clinical experience, or other extracurriculars C) It will be much more difficult to fit in all the prerequisite classes. I mainly picked biomedical engineering since that was the major that I had the most interest in, but now I think that I may have an interest in neuroscience. I don't know if I should switch my major to neuroscience next semester to make my path to medical school easier, or give up the safety blanket that bioengineering gives. To be fair, however, I don't know how much of a safety blanket biomedical engineering is considering I won't be able to do as many internships and projects since I'll be focused on extracurricular such as research and clinical experience. If you have any idea what would be the best route for me that would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

You pretty much answer most of your own questions. Any engineering major will have huge impact on your GPA and your pre-med course schedule. BME does not have much employment benefit as a plan B but it WILL kill your plan A really fast. Neuroscience is just a fancy part of Bio, so if you're interested in it AND you are capable getting A's, go for it. Otherwise pick any easy major to keep your GPA up. If you want employment prospect, take some IT certification classes (outside the college).

From one person who switched out of Biomedical Engineering to Biochemistry A YEAR INTO THE PROGRAM, if you're not passionate about engineering, don't do it. Do something you're passionate about on your way to Medical School. I'm still picking up the pieces from my GPA and while I learned interesting things, if I could go back, I'd do it much differently. I was working, volunteering, doing research, and doing all the pre med things, and it was just too much with an intensive engineering major. Just be happy!