Should I take 16 credits in the semester prior to the MCAT (Jan 2022)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeetus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely taking these ones as they are for my Bio major and elective requirements:

Biochemistry (4 units)
Physics of the Vision (3 credits)
Sociology (3 credits)
American History (3 credits)

I feel like this schedule doesn't seem that intensive with the exception of Biochemistry obviously the hard one (for what it's worth i did well in my Gen Chem, Biology, and Ochem courses).

I'm considering adding EITHER linear algebra OR statistics with R (programming language) course to this schedule which would make it 16 credits. Or should I add neither and make this a 13 credit semester?

I plan on taking the MCAT this January so there is the added benefit of a winter break from Dec 22-Jan 17 before the MCAT date in late January.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely taking these ones as they are for my Bio major and elective requirements:

Biochemistry (4 units)
Sociology (3 credits)

I feel like this schedule doesn't seem that intensive with the exception of Biochemistry obviously the hard one (for what it's worth i did well in my Gen Chem, Biology, and Ochem courses).

I'm considering adding EITHER linear algebra OR statistics with R (programming language) course to this schedule which would make it 16 credits. Or should I add neither and make this a 13 credit semester?

I plan on taking the MCAT this January so there is the added benefit of a winter break from Dec 22-Jan 17 before the MCAT date in late January.
The answer totally depends on your capacity, but giving yourself a break the semester you are preparing for the MCAT would not be the worst idea in the world.

Biochemistry (4 units)
Sociology (3 credits)

13 credits with the MCAT and extracurriculars could be a fairly busy schedule. I would not recommend cutting back on extracurriculars in favor of taking 16 credits if you're considering this and your GPA is in good shape.

Biochemistry (4 units)
Sociology (3 credits)

Stick to 4 if you need lot of time for MCAT prep, otherwise do Stats. Linear Algebra may have lot more work.