Should I take a gap year due to little volunteering? what is not enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have sort of obsessing over taking a gap year for a while and it's been driving me insane. I have asked my pre-med dean for advice and such but haven't gotten a straight answer.

Basically, my question is should I take a gap year because I do not have enough clinical volunteering? What is not enough?

Here is my information:

GPA Science 3.956 ( top tier institution) Other: 4.0 . Have made dean's list with distinction etc etc. Doesn't count for much I'm guessing.

MCAT taking in may ( lets assume I do well--I know this is a big if)

Activities:

REGULAR

Hindu Students Association- President

Organize religious events etc, interfaith events, workshops, religious text study. Hired the first female Hindu Chaplain. Basically do a lot for this. Been heavily involved with this since my freshmen year.

Indian Classical Dance Team- choreographer/dancer

We go to competitions every year and we won second place at last year's competition so we are hosting it this year. Also do a bunch of on campus performances. Also a pretty rigorous commitment.

Independent Project in a Lab
Have been working in a lab since spring freshmen year and currently have my own mini project involving cell culture work where I'm trying to narrow down a phosphorylation site. Will be presenting at lab meeting in the spring. Probably won't be published any time soon but still a lot to say about my research

ON AND OFF

General Volunteering
- I worked with Bhutanese refugees for a semester spring of my sophomore year and was pretty involved. I did a lot of tutoring and made really close relationships with the kids. I couldn't continue however this semester because I had a class conflict but I am beginning again this coming semester

CLINICAL

Hospital Volunteering
- Did pet therapy spring of my sophomore year but fall junior yr. I wanted to switch to something with more patient contact and the training stuff took all semester as they are packed but I went in several times to learnt he ropes. I'm going to continue this in the spring.

Shadowing
Have various shadowing experiences but the one that has been the most meaningful for me is being allowed to take patient histories in a neuro-oncology clinic on my own for about a semester. I learned a lot from it. I'm going to continue shadowing in a pediatric neuro oncology clinic next semester but will no longer be doing patient histories.

SUMMERS

Freshmen Summer: research at NIH
Sophomore summer: 2 semesters of physics
Junior summer: either working in India in a health outreach program or teaching a classroom of middle school students. Haven't decided yet.

I think that pretty much sums up my application...let me know if more info is needed but it would be really helpful to know the perspectives on whether my app needs a gap yr or not? Mainly in my opinion just to have volunteering through my senior year. I don't have very many things going on but I have a lot to say about them so I hope that counts for something.

RECS

my PI
creative writing prof
upper level science class prof
Dean of religious life

MIsc: I love to write and have taken a couple creative writing classes and will probably do an independent study at some point.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but it sounds like you have more than enough volunteering stuff already. Do more research or something else that pays money.

that is one of my other issues. I do not come from a rich family. I would need to find a paid job and idk how likely/ hard that is. For instance, a paid research job is super hard to come by. Idk if not finding a paid one is worth the benefit of taking a gap year.

As for the volunteering, I am concerned I don't seem committed as it is not very regular at all. Isn't what they prefer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application looks very competitive with the exception of the Clinical Volunteer category. Despite that, I believe if you can score well on your MCAT, you have a very good chance at acceptance. It would be a different story if you were aiming high though.

I am aiming high. With respect to that, should I hold off and take the gap year?