Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beyonce2.0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely do not need a gap year to be competitive for MD/PhD. Whether or not you take one anyway is up to you but rest assured that with your research experience and stats, not taking a gap year will not keep your application from being successful.

Reactions: 1 user
Number-wise you're fine. You don't need a gap year, but 1-2 yrs will not hurt you (I had 4).

A couple of concerns I have from your OP. You seem hesitant to do research during your gap year, which is fine, but makes me wonder why you're thinking of pursuing a PhD. IMO research is just like exercising, the more of it you do, the more efficient you become. You can of course not do research during a gap year but remember by the time you start your PhD (assuming you do take a gap year and don't do any research), it will be a couple years since your last research experience (assuming 3 yrs of UG research) and UG research is quite a different beast than grad research. I'm also not sure how adcoms will view applicants who decide to forgo doing research during their gap years, unless they happen to have some compelling activity.

That's why I'm a proponent of applicants being full-time research assistants (be it stand-alone positions/fellows/masters/etc) for at least a year before going down the dual degree pathway since it'll help paint a better picture of how the research years will unfold. If it turns out you like the grind of full-time research, then you'll be able to hit the ground running faster during grad school and (hopefully) finish in a timely manner. If it turns out that you don't like research like that, well you've only lost a year or so. The pathway is long, but it's better to come in with the right expectations rather than rushing into something and feeling like you wasted years of your life training for something you ultimately didn't need to fulfill your career aspirations.

I feel like I went off on a tangent, but I'm available via PM if you have questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, thank you for the feedback!

@eteshoe I am not completely closed to the idea of doing research during my gap year. However, I am worried that, if I do research, especially if I am only taking 1 gap year, it will be hard to find a position that is intellectually challenging/stimulating. I don't know if I'll find a lab willing to give me a project to work on for only a year, and I don't want to be washing bottles and making media for a year. Thus, I thought it'd be cool to explore something a little outside the realm of research for a year. This may be an illogical fear, so let me know.

@eteshoe I am not completely closed to the idea of doing research during my gap year. However, I am worried that, if I do research, especially if I am only taking 1 gap year, it will be hard to find a position that is intellectually challenging/stimulating. I don't know if I'll find a lab willing to give me a project to work on for only a year, and I don't want to be washing bottles and making media for a year. Thus, I thought it'd be cool to explore something a little outside the realm of research for a year. This may be an illogical fear, so let me know.
Would it be possible to continue the year (but working ~full time) in the lab where you're doing your thesis? Would the extra year give you enough time to convert the thesis project into a first-author publication?

[edit] I agree with @eteshoe's opinion. I came into the MD/PhD program straight out of college. I'd done three years in the same lab as an undergrad. I had experience starting my own project from scratch and because I was working on something non-traditional to the lab, I also had to trouble-shoot on my own. What I am realizing now (nearing the end of my PhD), is that "finishing" a project is very difficult, and something I didn't experience as an undergrad on a deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I liked @nonamesleft's suggestion. You could also try PREP programs (1-2 yrs) (PREP Participating Institutions - National Institute of General Medical Sciences).

Reactions: 1 user
Delayed reply, but thank you all for the help! @nonamesleft My PI has given me the option of staying for a year to continue research. I don't know about getting a pub since it's never a sure thing so I don't know how I'd approach that. @eteshoe I'll also look into the PREP programs, thanks for that!

Just based on your post, I'd say you will be extremely competitive and can aim just about as high as you want.

If you're really wanting to take a gap year of research to make sure you want to do MSTP, I think that is fine and wise! Otherwise, if you're mainly wanting it because you think it will increase your chances of getting in and you're worried, I don't think you need to be concerned about that. :) Also note that MSTPs don't care as much about volunteering, etc, as medical school alone does, so that shouldn't be a deal-breaker if you're feeling like you don't have enough (because for MSTP, you definitely do). You're really set to apply now and be a very, very strong applicant, so it's just up to the path you want to take, in my opinion.

Congrats on your hard work, and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users