Should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegoat1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a junior at a Top 25 wondering if I should take a gap year. My stats are as follows:

cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 520

ECs:

• Senior editor at school's pre-health newspaper
  • Cancer research for 2 years with awards and 2 presentations (no pubs)...also awarded grants and published in an abstract but don't know if that counts
  • Leadership in campus organization dedicated to rural Indian villages; participated in 2 trips to India with the same organization one of which involved the implementation of a health camp
  • Shadowing in multiple specialties for ~40 hours
  • Dean's list, phi beta kappa
  • Volunteered at the orthopedic hospital for one summer
  • recently started volunteering/tutoring at a mental health center for abuse victims and will start volunteering in the clinic soon as well
I'm mostly concerned with the amount of clinical volunteering that I have. I can get some hours through the clinic by the time application season rolls around but other that that, it might not be enough. Would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You’re fine. Just continue to accumulate more volunteer hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With those stats you can be weak on clinical volunteer and still most likely get accepted. I'd definitely apply this cycle. Keep in mind the cycle is long (will take your entire senior year) and most schools allow you to send update letters, so you can still add clinical experience to your app from anything you do after you submit your amcas. That said, if you're feeling burnt out and wish to take a relaxing year off it may be your last chance.