Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. This is my first time posting here. I am currently a Junior and was planning on applying during the 2021-2022 cycle but I am not sure whether I should be taking a gap year or not. I have clinical experience, volunteering, research, and shadowing (not many in person-hours because of COVID), etc., and have been writing my personal statement. When would you recommend someone to take a gap year? Would appreciate any feedback.

For reference, here is my portfolio:

cGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.75

MCAT: Will take in May (3rd party practice test at 506)

Shadowing Physicians (In-person + Virtual): 35+ Hours

Patient Exposure (Volunteer): 290 Hours ( 314 by application)

- Volunteered in the surgical unit, assisting CNAs with duties in the unit and transporting patients.

- Provided companionship to terminally ill patients and their families through Hospice care (Currently doing now)

- Volunteered at the information desk of my local hospital, assisting patients and their families, transporting patients to their appointments, etc.

- Accepted as diabetes patient educator at Indian Health Center (not yet started due to COVID)

Non-clinical service (Volunteer): 50 Hours (100+ at application time)

- Lead an ESL conversation club through the public library to help English learners with their conversation and English skills. (Currently doing)

- Volunteer at 7Cups, an anxiety, stress, and psychological support chat to help people that are struggling with different types of issues. (Currently doing)

Research: 250+ Hours

- Participated in the first cohort of F.I.R.E.S (Freshman Initiative: Research to Engage Students) program, in which I learned lab techniques and rotated in different labs over the summer

- Currently working as a Research Assistant doing Aedes aegypti mosquito research

- Winner of a school-wide research presentation competition. I will represent my university in the coming week at a state research competition involving 23 universities.

- Publication in community journal about COVID vaccine inequality and its implications on return to normalcy.

Leadership:

- Lead volunteers at a hospital, responsible for overlooking 10+ volunteers and training new ones

- Lead ESL conversation club

- Future mentorship of new research students

Other Extra-Curricular Activities: 100+ hours

- Participated in Leadership for Aspiring Physicians Program to build leadership skills and created a project that addresses community health problems. Focused on my zip code and how location can directly affect a person's health.

- Currently a team member of a grassroots community publication that is concerned with providing a platform on which health inequities can be voiced.

Everything I have done was volunteer work and over the course of 3 years. I think I have some unique experiences related to health, namely the Leadership program and the community publication. What are your thoughts? Do I have a chance this cycle? I am doubting myself and am not sure if I have done enough.
I think you have adequately checked the boxes

Members don't see this ad.

To be clear, I meant you're ready assuming you hit those targets by the time you apply. 150 nonclinical hours would be ideal, but I'm not sure I would delay a year over a difference of 50 nonclinical hours so long as your MCAT is strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a gap year if you have an opportunity that's exciting to you that you won't get to do once you are in medical school or after. Don't try to please admissions committees, but do something full-time that truly stretches you beyond your comfort zone if you want to please them anyway.

And yes, come back with your MCAT... which you should take during your gap time to maximize your study effectiveness and test prep skills.

Clinical are good.
Nonclinical need to be boosted and would like to see more hours helping people less fortunate than you...think soup kitchen like work.

As long as you can get the nonclinical hours up and don't bomb the MCAT, you can/should apply. Keep in mind it also depends on what your goal is. If you are shooting MD and score low on MCAT, you may need to retake. If you score around the DO average, then applying would be fine.

Would it be better to work towards the nonclinical + clinical hours this year and apply next cycle during senior year? I'm not sure if will be able to start a new volunteer activity at the moment without sacrificing my MCAT, grades, and/or application. What are your thoughts?
You should apply when you have the best possible application, even if it means skipping a cycle. Medical schools are not going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.