Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior, and my major is cellular and molecular biology. Because of COVID and online school, I have not been performing well. My GPA is now at a 3.52. I have 3 C's in Chemistry 2, Genetics, and cell biology. I feel really sucky about it, but this is what happened because i was learning everything online rather than lectures. I was wondering if I should take a chemistry minor so I could bring my GPA up, but I am not sure if that would help. I also have classes that I took in high school that has the credit, and does not have a grade, and I was wondering if I should retake those. I have around 6-7 science courses left to take. I do not know what I should do.
There is absolutely no value to getting a minor. Take the classes if you want to take them and if they would help your GPA, but there's no inherent value in having a minor. Don't take a course that you don't think you'll do well in.

Assuming that retaking your high school courses would just be on top of other science courses you need to take, I would just focus your energy on exceling in the actual upper level science courses. You can always play GPA games and re-take those courses at a CC later in a DIY post-bacc if you wind up needing it.

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is medical school, an actual minor won't really help just because it's a minor. Personally, would rather see you take upper-level courses and excel. Also, wouldn't commit to a minor in the very same subject you got Cs in as this is risky to lowering your GPA further. If you need a GPA fix after undergrad, you can always do a post-bac.

Status
Not open for further replies.