Should I take a "W" in my Organic Chemistry II class or take the risk to get lower than a "C"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbad

Reaction score
My situation is long and complex and I would like to explain it in full detail. I am a sophomore at a state school. I had a 3.4 GPA coming into this semester with the hope of getting a 4.0 enrolled in 15 credit hours (12 is the minimum for full-time at my school). I ended up doing poorly on my first Organic Chemistry II lab class exam and was advised by my advisor to drop the course and take a "W" as one "W" would not be a big deal on my medical school application. I am now enrolled in 13 credit hours and am currently failing Organic Chemistry II lecture which is 3 credit hours. I got a 54% on the first exam and a 69% on the second exam that I just took. This class is very exam heavy and I calculated that if I get a 70% on this exam and a 75% on the final, I will end with a C- in the course and barely pass as the final exam would replace my lowest exam grade. I am basing these numbers for the future tests on the lower end as I wanted to see my worst case scenario. The main issue here is that the next exam date is a week after the last date to drop a course and get a "W". I worry that I may have fallen so behind that maybe I would end up with lower than a C-. I also am unsure what would look worse: a C- and a W, or 2 W's in one semester and ending the semester at 10 credit hours which is under full time. I have had some family and health issues this semester that I have been attending to which may have caused some issues in doing well in OChem II. If there are two W's in the same semester would medical admissions look at them as one since there may have been a reason that the student was struggling in school that semester? If I drop the course I will not be able to take it until my spring semester next year (junior year) as I am going to volunteer abroad this semester and the course is not offered in the fall. Should I drop this course or not?

Members don't see this ad.