Should I take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umrk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in need of some advice here.
I'm currently a junior who was hoping to apply in the next application cycle.
Unfortunately, my GPA really took a hit this year when I failed biochem last semester (which I am now retaking) and got a C in Calc II. Pchem and Biochem aren't looking too great this semester due to the fact that I study way too much and then panic during the exam, leading to low exam grades.
I did REALLY well freshman and sophomore years and my sGPA is now 3.26 and oGPA is 3.33. I can maybe bring it up this semester but I'm not sure.

I have LORs lined up as well as shadowing hours done.
The thing that I'm worried about is that a month and a half won't be enough to study for the DAT and I'll totally bomb it, lowering my self-esteem further.

Should I just wait to take the DAT after studying for the entire summer and just apply next year when I have had a chance to work on my GPA a bit? (I only have about 8 more credits of science classes to take for my major so not sure how much it could really go up at this point.) Or should I just tough it out and apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to be honest, if you can score a 21 AA. you should have a fair shot specially since the courses you mentioned are not tested on the DAT so if you did well on the gen chem, orgo, bio I would give it a shot.

Taking a year off is not really a negative, but you would need to find some sort of filler for it during that time and even then that is basically losing a full year salary since you will be graduating 1 year late.

Give it a shot apply to +9 school broadly it should work out.