Should I take an nbme now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danvasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm about 3 weeks out and I haven't taken an nbme yet. Have about 15% uworld to do and about 3/4th irst aid 2nd pass done. I've been postponing taking an nbme cause I've been downright scared and I want it to represent my actual score. Do you think I should give it a shot now or wait another week until I get through uworld? Also which nbme would you suggest I take 1st?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

3 weeks out is really soon, wouldn't you want to know where your weaknesses are earlier on & where you still need to improve. Take it !

It really depends on what you want the NBME to do. Some people just want a sneak peak at what their score is going to be, so they take one just a few days out from the real exam. Personally, I think the NBMEs are most helpful for getting used to the timing of 4 blocks in a row, combined with a score report that gives you an indication of your weakest subjects. For those reasons, I think it's quite useful to take a practice test at least a few weeks out, so you have time to make the appropriate changes. I'm also of the opinion that the newest NBMEs are the most accurate (I couldn't imagine them knowingly releasing less accurate practice exams over time), but who can really say?

but I haven't got through uworld or girst aid wouldn't it represent my score once I become thorough with the things I already know? Or do people just take the nbme to just see where they stand ? also my 1st nbme should be 15 then yea? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
but I haven't got through uworld or girst aid wouldn't it represent my score once I become thorough with the things I already know? Or do people just take the nbme to just see where they stand ? also my 1st nbme should be 15 then yea? thanks!

I think 100% of UW or a complete 2nd pass of FA are arbitrary goal markers for "being done" with your study. You're going to get stuff wrong that you saw in the first 85%, and you're not going to get everything right that you would've seen in the last 15%. The same goes for the remainder of FA. If there's a time you can point to where you think "ok, now I'm done with everything," you should just take the real exam the following day.

This is all my own opinion on test prep, but I really don't think that the stuff you have left will make a huge difference. It's a practice exam; you don't need to ace it in order for it to be extremely valuable.