1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I take calculus-based physics?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by vincikai, Nov 30, 2005.

1. vincikai

vincikai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

should i take calculus based physics?

I already took algebra physics back in high school AP Phy, now I don't want to waste my 8 credits by retaking physics again. It would be a little overload considering I am also going to take calculus II, and Chemistry II in the same semester. however I do feel the need to practice more physics before the MCAT. tell me, is it wise to learn calculus-based physics?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Fermata

Fermata Hold me.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it's gonna be a waste of your time then don't take it.

4. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    it is wise to take easy physics

5. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    definitely, if you dont need to take physics with calculus for your degree, dont take it. calc based physics isnt needed for the mcat. i had to take it because i was a chem major but regular physics is fine.

6. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Don't take calc-based unless you really want to for some reason.

That said (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), I believe that some schools will give you static about accepting AP credit for prereqs. At least, I recall hearing something about this. Anyone with more info, can you confirm?

7. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    some schools want english and the basic science pre-reqs to be taken at the university, not AP. i remember some schools didnt want to accept my AP english credit and declined to send me a secondary because of it. I remember USUHS was like this. it all depends on the school though. if you had AP credit for english and took creative writing or another english class as an elective, most would be ok with that.

8. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    quite a few people are doing that at my school and maybe if you take upper level bio and chem it will be OK but i would be really hesitant about that.

9. nouveau007

nouveau007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    As people have pointed out, you do not need calculus based physics for the MCAT. The MCAT does not even require the quadratic equation! All you need is a deep understanding of the concepts and know how to applied them in differente scenarios.

Good luck :thumbup:

10. vincikai

vincikai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks guys,

dose cal-phy provide a better understanding in physics concepts?

11. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    IMO yes.

In the algebra based from what I have seen and heard as a tutor and talking to my friends at other uni's is that the class has a huge reliance on formulas. Plug and Chug doesn't really teach you much.

Disclaimer: I'm a physics major.

12. Calc based physics is not needed for the MCAT. So long as you can memorize the necessary equations to plug and chug, your performance will be fine.

That being said, I disagree that it is wise to take easy physics. If you are the type of person who hates sitting through boring, unnecessarily tedious lectures and doing busy-work homework, easy physics will probably be torture. Calc-based physics gives you a better understanding of why the plug and chug equations are what they are, even to the point that memorization isn't necessary beyond the very basic equations. Also, depending on your college, the lecturers are often far superior. Speaking from personal experience, it is possible for a pre-med to be at the top of the class even though it is full of engineers and physics majors, so if you are worried about not getting an A, don't.

13. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i had to plug and chug for about one passage on my mcat form.......almost totally conceptual.....so maybe calc-based would be helpful for the conceptual stuff but if you are worried about your grades I wouldn't do it......try to find out more about the prof/course from other students

14. seadizzle

seadizzle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you are proficient in calculus then I think you'd be better off taking calculus based physics. You would gain a deeper understanding of physics if you can handle the math.

You can think of it like this: Premed physics just teaches you the results. They give you the end equations, all you have to do for most problems is figure out what numbers to plug in. Calculus physics allows you to derive the results in premed physics from more basic principles. You can derive all the kinematic equations, the relationship between potential energy and force, etc. stuff that is fundamental to an *understanding* of the concepts. Simply, you will have a better understanding of the formulas.

Of course, if you can't handle the math, then you won't do very well and end up getting both a poor grade in the class and not picking up the deeper connections.

I am a math major, so take that as you will. I got a 14 on the physical science section.

15. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 15+ Year Member

It'll be a slightly harder class, but it'll help you more for the MCAT by giving you a deeper grasp of physics and faster mental math skills. Aside from derivations, there's little calculus involved, honestly. Mostly trig stuff in Mechanics and a little bit of basic integration in E/M.

Plug 'n' Chug is a crutch in the long run.

16. Sicilian

Sicilian Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'll second the last poster. Most of the problem's in calc-based intro physics (physics I, II) don't involve calculus. I suppose both versions - calc-based and algebra-based - are focused primarily on introducing the material at a very basic level, since most ppl in these classes will be taking specialized classes later on anyway. So whatever level you take, you'll see a large overlap of problems.