Should I take course pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marylander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating taking one of my pre-req pre-med courses on a pass/fail basis. Right now I am thinking of taking Orgo Chem on a pass/fail basis @ my local community college. What do you all think about this? I don't know how strict med schools are on taking such courses on aforementioned grading style, but I'm guessing it's looked down upon.

Also, on a related note, what do you' all think about taking pre-req courses in summer, either @ my home institution or @ local community college?

Members don't see this ad.

That's actually a double no-no you've got there.

1) Medical schools will not accept pass/fail for any prereq courses (such as orgo).
2) Nearly all med schools look down upon (if not just outright reject) any community college transfer credits, especially for prereqs.

I would just take the courses at your home institution and save yourself the trouble.

1 is true. A lot of schools won't accept pass/fail pre-reqs. I had to re-take o-chem I because I took it pass/fail.

2 is NOT true to a certain degree. Almost all colleges accept community college pre-reqs. Some schools (like UMass), say they favor that classes are taken at a 4 yr school. I took g-chem I at a community college and every medical school that I contacted said it wasn't a big deal.

Edit: I agree with the advice to a) take it for a grade and b) take it at a 4 yr school though.
Also, I orignally took o-chem pass/fail since I did not intend to apply to medical school.

That's actually a double no-no you've got there.

1) Medical schools will not accept pass/fail for any prereq courses (such as orgo).
2) Nearly all med schools look down upon (if not just outright reject) any community college transfer credits, especially for prereqs.

I would just take the courses at your home institution and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Will they let you keep you keep the Pass on your transcript as long as you're guaranteed to take it your senior year before you matriculate?

There are no absolutes. It is recommended not to take any premed reqs, pass/fail.
However, for ex, my school has some English courses as mandatory pass/fail. I have no choice and med schools have no problem with that.