Should I take next year (after junior year) off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D816V

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is sort of a unique question. I'm considering taking a year off after my junior year - I feel like I need to spend some time doing volunteering and shadowing to figure out if medicine really is right for me. I am also interested in an awesome senior acappella group at my school that travels a lot during the year so many people take the year off. Moreover, my lab is at a very critical point right now and could use my help generating a lot of important data next year.

I sort of see three options: 1) Take the year off and do the senior acappella thing, while doing some research when we're not traveling (I would still probably have two-thirds of the year to do research) and doing some volunteering and shadowing. 2) Take the year off but just focus on research and do some volunteering and shadowing. 3) Just not take the year off and apply this summer if you think I can get enough volunteering and shadowing in by then.

Here's my background:

- GPA: 3.87 (projected at the end of junior year)
- MCAT: 39
- 30 hours of volunteering (patient interaction)
- 50 hours of shadowing
- I think I could easily rack up at least another 40 hours of volunteering this next semester
- I think I could easily rack up at least another 40 hours of shadowing this next semester
- 3 years college acappella
- 15 hours a week of research sophomore and junior years

Please let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are not trolling then I'll be the first to admit I'm jealous.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would do the A cappella thing. It's unique. Plus you get to travel. Live it up man, you have the grades and MCAT and an overall solid application. Do what will be the most fun.

When was that MCAT taken? You only get a maximum 3 years with that score so you better be confident with taking your gap year before finishing your degree.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I'm assuming you are referring to the Whiffenpoofs. I think you can pretty safely get accepted somewhere good if you applied at the end of this year. However, if you take a year off, I think it will make your application exceptional and give you a fantastic chance at any top 10 school (potentially with scholarship).

@D816V Now that I've shaken off the shock of seeing that MCAT, I would suggest doing more clinical volunteer work.

Are you suggesting I take the year off so I have more time to do clinical volunteering, or are you saying I just need to spend more time doing clinical volunteering?

Are you suggesting I take the year off so I have more time to do clinical volunteering, or are you saying I just need to spend more time doing clinical volunteering?

Either or as long as the MCAT score doesn't expire before you apply. I'm more for not taking the year off since the transition to the new MCAT will complicate admissions. Taking the year off may make it harder to use the older MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you do, for God's sakes, don't let that MCAT expire.

Reactions: 3 users
Really look into this OP because some schools I applied to won't take old (current) MCAT scores for the entering class of 2017, which only gives you two years with that score.

Man you are ****tin on a lot of people with your mcat and gpa. Some extra clinical/volunteer hours wouldn't hurt but personally I wouldn't take a year off.

Reactions: 1 users
I´m going to go out on a limb and say you´re a member of the Whiffenpoofs? If so, absolutely. (Accappella member here, I´m totally jealous)

I think this is sort of a unique question. I'm considering taking a year off after my junior year - I feel like I need to spend some time boosting my volunteering and shadowing, and possibly spend some extra time focusing on research to get published. The reason I considered taking next year off instead of just waiting to apply after senior year is because 1) I don't want to have to worry about grades for another year and 2) not having classes would give me more time to do research/volunteering/shadowing. There is also a prestigious senior acappella group at my school that travels a lot during the year so many people take the year off. Also, my lab is at a very critical point right now and could be generating a lot of important data next year.

I sort of see three options: 1) Take the year off and do the senior acappella thing, while doing some research when we're not traveling (I would still probably have two-thirds of the year to do research) and doing some volunteering and shadowing. I would use the acappella thing as a reason for my taking a year off when asked by med schools. 2) Take the year off but just focus on research and do some volunteering and shadowing. I would explain to medical schools that I wanted to take advantage of this high-output year in my lab to do focus research, an opportunity I might not get again if I decide not to pursue science as a career. 3) Just not take the year off and apply this summer if you think I can get enough volunteering and shadowing in by then.

Here's my background:

- Attend HYP school
- GPA: 3.87 (projected at the end of junior year)
- MCAT: 39 (14/10/15)
- 30 hours of volunteering (at hospice care center - patient interaction)
- 50 hours of shadowing (about half during junior winter and half summer before freshman year)
- I think I could easily rack up at least another 40 hours of volunteering this next semester, could probably get up to 100 total if I tried
- I think I could easily rack up at least another 40 hours of shadowing this next semester
- 3 years college acappella
- 15 hours a week of research sophomore and junior years (switched labs between sophomore and junior years)

Please let me know what you think!

Kudos on the good GPA and MCAT. Will certainly get you looked at everywhere. Everything else is kinda, 'meh'. If you are looking to get in somewhere, your scores + minimalistic ECs will get you in and there is no reason to take a gap year. If you are looking to go top top, you are going to need to figure a lot of stuff out. For starters, while acappella at a certain level is unique, it is leisure time. It is great to do and certainly a bright point on an application, but when you break down the hours, I'm not seeing a whole lot of productivity outside the classroom, which is fine with stellar scores to get in somewhere, but if you want to be selective, not as much. You've dedicated 1500 hours to research, assuming that you didn't up your time in the lab during the Summer. What do you have to show from this? Again, the question that I always have when reading an application is, "If you take out sleep and studying, you have about 80 hours per week of free time, what do they do with it?" Do they spent 1%, 10%, 20%, 50% or 80% of their free time on leisure/"me" activities vs. neutral vs. altruistic. Hours recorded are just that, some notations on a piece of paper. 100 hours is a heavy work week as a resident, at the end of the day, it doesn't mean a whole lot over the course of 4 years.

What to do depends on your goals and aspirations. Taking a gap year to do something productive would be a good idea (assuming MCAT doesn't expire etc.).

Kudos on the good GPA and MCAT. Will certainly get you looked at everywhere. Everything else is kinda, 'meh'. If you are looking to get in somewhere, your scores + minimalistic ECs will get you in and there is no reason to take a gap year. If you are looking to go top top, you are going to need to figure a lot of stuff out. For starters, while acappella at a certain level is unique, it is leisure time. It is great to do and certainly a bright point on an application, but when you break down the hours, I'm not seeing a whole lot of productivity outside the classroom, which is fine with stellar scores to get in somewhere, but if you want to be selective, not as much. You've dedicated 1500 hours to research, assuming that you didn't up your time in the lab during the Summer. What do you have to show from this? Again, the question that I always have when reading an application is, "If you take out sleep and studying, you have about 80 hours per week of free time, what do they do with it?" Do they spent 1%, 10%, 20%, 50% or 80% of their free time on leisure/"me" activities vs. neutral vs. altruistic. Hours recorded are just that, some notations on a piece of paper. 100 hours is a heavy work week as a resident, at the end of the day, it doesn't mean a whole lot over the course of 4 years.

What to do depends on your goals and aspirations. Taking a gap year to do something productive would be a good idea (assuming MCAT doesn't expire etc.).

I'm actually interested in what you think about extracurriculars. Personally, I've put a lot of work into acappella and have learned a lot from it. I definitely would not call it leisure. What then counts as a "productive" activity? Like cultural club? Student Science Journal? Volunteering? I definitely understand your point about looking at how the applicant spends his time. I'm just not sure I see what counts as a "good" use of time.

I'm definitely looking to give my best shot at the top schools. What do you suggest I do in order to bolster my ECs? I feel like at this point I can't really start something new and have it look impressive on an app if I've only devoted half a year to it.

I found this: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf. What does the application cycle year mean? Is it the year of the summer/fall in which you submit your application?

To my understanding, application cycle refers to the year you start medical school. That is to say, it is currently the 2015 cycle. If you took no time off, you would be applying in the 2016 cycle. If you took a year off, you'd be applying in the 2017 cycle. Based on that chart, you should be equally fine applying either year.

I'm actually interested in what you think about extracurriculars. Personally, I've put a lot of work into acappella and have learned a lot from it. I definitely would not call it leisure. What then counts as a "productive" activity? Like cultural club? Student Science Journal? Volunteering? I definitely understand your point about looking at how the applicant spends his time. I'm just not sure I see what counts as a "good" use of time.

I'm definitely looking to give my best shot at the top schools. What do you suggest I do in order to bolster my ECs? I feel like at this point I can't really start something new and have it look impressive on an app if I've only devoted half a year to it.

Acapella is a leisure activity. Just because you learn a lot from it or work hard on it doesn't mean that it isn't leisure. For example. I rock climb quite seriously. Outside of the actual climbing, I put in hours every week training, even as a surgical resident. I've also learned a lot about myself and people by doing it. It is still something that is done because I derive pleasure from it without a tangible benefit to others. Most activities that you do are going to be things you enjoy. I had someone saying that Mother Theresa was very very selfish because she derived pleasure from helping the poor and she was doing what she wanted to do, ergo: selfish. There is a fundamental difference between different ECs and how they are viewed.

Understand that what I'm about to talk about is a very fuzzy topic. I'm putting boundaries on things that really don't have boundaries and explaining a thought process that is largely subconscious... There are three broad categories of ECs. Leisure activities, neutral, and altruistic. There is nothing wrong with enjoying or doing any of them. However, there is a reason adcoms are looking for certain kinds of activities. Medicine is a lot of science, but it is by and large a people profession. It is also a profession that is dominated by the concept of helping other people. No, you don't have to be the next Mother Theresa, but a good part of your time will be in the service of others. If you can't handle that, you will be miserable. No, it does not make you a bad person. It just makes you a poor fit for what most physicians do every day. No matter how bad of a day I'm having in the hospital, virtually every single one of my patients is having a worse day, after all, they are in the hospital, seeing me. Certainly not every physician's practice is like that, but most physicians will have something similar to say about helping their patients.

• Leisure activities are those that you do for yourself. The focus is on you. Most hobbies/sports fall into this category. I would say that if you could potentially scratch out an EC and it wouldn't negatively impact other people or your life, then it is leisure. We like to see people that have leisure activities. Being able to have fun and focus on non-academic things is important. Everyone wants to be around people with hobbies, it makes for a more interesting class.
  • Neutral activities are things that you have to do. For example, if you have to work because you are paying for school or supporting family etc. It is a limitation on your time that is just something that has to be done. This is something that needs to be considered when looking at GPAs or how involved people are in other activities.
  • Altruistic activities are things where the focus is on other people. Things that better the lives of others primarily. Things that demonstrate that you spend at least a small amount of your time thinking about the needs of others instead of your own. This is where the, "What % of your time do you spend doing different things?" comes in. I'm not saying that someone that devotes <1% of their free time to others can't be a good physician or get enjoyment out of it. But, everything else being equal, I'd strongly prefer someone that is much higher as I think that their chances of success are much higher.

Regarding productivity. Virtually any activity can be productive. It is more about what you do with an activity than what the activity itself is. For instance, if you are in research for 2000 hours, what did you produce? Conceivably, someone paid you or you got academic credits, or at the very least you invested your time into it. So, what came of it? What tangibly shows that you weren't goofing off and getting nothing out of it. The easiest to appreciate are publications, posters, abstracts etc. Strong letters of recommendation are another. I'm not talking about a good letter, I'm talking about, "It is tragic that none of his work was published because he has made significant contributions to our lab including X, Y, and Z." And more importantly in a LOR like that, what is your analagous Wins Above Replacement, compared to if the lab hired someone else. I'm not that creative, so I'll go through the applications sitting on my desk right now and pick out the single most "productive" things I can find that they did before medical school.

Restructured soup kitchen, tripled meals served by reallocating resources.
Top 3 rank, nationally fencing
2 years research, x1 first author in low impact, 2 presentations
2 years research, x2 non-first author publications, one in Cell, the other PNAS
1 year research, x2 presentations, x1 award from presentation
3 months fundraising and 3 months (Summer) digging wells in Kenya
5 years habitat for humanity from HS to present
2 Summers teaching English in a Lebanese refugee camp

Yes, I cherry picked from ~30 applications. There are certainly a lot of people with very good scores that played video games, worked on their hobbies and are perfectly good people. But, there are also a lot of pretty amazing people out there doing a lot of amazing things. Being productive is about dedication, passion, hard work and perseverance. ie. what we want from our medical students. I interviewed at most of the top 10 as well as several other more local places. Virtually everyone you meet on the trail is going to be a good student. Some better than others. But, it was very obvious when talking to other applicants at the top schools that I was a small fish in a very big sea of stellar applicants.

Reactions: 4 users