Should I take step 2?

Started by Bandwagon1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to PM&R and I know that it's a very DO friendly specialty and that the COMLEX is widely accepted but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to still take the step 2 CK even if I did well for both exams (COMLEX 670+ , USMLE step 1 245+). Since the merger, everyone has been talking about the need to take both step 1 and step 2 now which prompted me to ask this. Thanks!

You may find more accurate answers if I move this thread to the PM&R area of the forum if you'd like for me to do that.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be honest, I'd consider taking it a risk if you don't manage to get 255 or higher on it. You've already demonstrated you can do well on the USMLE. A lot of MD applicants with a high Step 1 even delay taking Step 2 until after apps are in in case they do worse.

I agree that the PM&R forum will give you more specialty specific advice. You could also actually contact programs you're interested in directly, but unless they say it's essential or would make a big difference, I'd really question whether it will be truly advantageous.
 
I wouldn't. I'd just focus on killing the COMLEX. There are only a few programs that require USMLE. You've already shown you can hold your own on step 1.
 
Nope. I wouldn't do it. You've already demonstrated how well you can do. If a program made a big deal about you not taking USMLE step 2, then that is a program that I wouldn't want to consider if I was you.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
With those COMLEX scores, I wouldn't waste the money on USMLE step 2 -->most programs that are DO friendly are going to be happy to see those scores and like the previous post - maybe you should avoid those that aren't