Should I take Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washingmachine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, 3rd year DO student just starting rotations. Should I consider taking step 2? I got a 245 on step 1 and 606 on level 1, should I just take comlex and skip out of usmle? I don't want a downward trend, but at the same time i'm not sure what it will be like after the merger in 2020... any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Would not taking USMLE lock me out of prelims? Especially since they're all ACGME as well?

Some yes, others no. You're going to have to do the research ahead of time and look at all the programs you think you will apply to. Most should have information on their website about their application requirements. If you see too many that only take USMLE step 2 then you will have to decide if you want to take it or not. Also look at how many current residents are DO's as some programs will have none.

As a generality, it is probably harder for a DO student to match to TY then preliminary medicine, even though they are about the same.

If you feel like taking USMLE step 2 will boost your application and calm some anxiety about matching then I guess you should take it. Just make sure you do well on both exams as most programs will expect your COMLEX to be good regardless of how well you do on USMLE.