Should I take the chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AFewMotivation

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey today is July 23rd I am taking my actual MCAT in exactly 19 days on August 10th, and I honestly don't feel very good about it. I've been taking Kaplan this summer and I've only taken 3 full lengths, got 21, 26 and 29, respectively. The problem is that my verbal is still hovering at around 8 and I am running out of time.

I have 4 more days to decide if I want to postpone my dates for the exam. If I do decide to postpone it I will have to take it next year at January because I don't have time to study from August to September. I really don't want to be studying for it during the school year with all the other things that are going on (I'm sure people know how hard it is to do schoolwork and studying at the same time), but if I'm not prepared this summer then I think I will have to do that.

My question is, exclude difference between people, is it humanly possible to get my score up to 32-36 range in 19 days AND get a day or 2 off before the the test if I have 24-7 from now to August 10th? I'm not the most efficient at studying but I just want to know if it is even possible. If it is, it might give me some hope...

I will likely try to make my final decision this week by doing 2 more full lengths. What kind of score should I expect if I am to get my target score by test day? a 10 or higher on verbal/9 or higher on both? At least one 32 or above/both at least 30?

Thanks so much.
 
Hey today is July 23rd I am taking my actual MCAT in exactly 19 days on August 10th, and I honestly don't feel very good about it. I've been taking Kaplan this summer and I've only taken 3 full lengths, got 21, 26 and 29, respectively. The problem is that my verbal is still hovering at around 8 and I am running out of time.

I have 4 more days to decide if I want to postpone my dates for the exam. If I do decide to postpone it I will have to take it next year at January because I don't have time to study from August to September. I really don't want to be studying for it during the school year with all the other things that are going on (I'm sure people know how hard it is to do schoolwork and studying at the same time), but if I'm not prepared this summer then I think I will have to do that.

My question is, exclude difference between people, is it humanly possible to get my score up to 32-36 range in 19 days AND get a day or 2 off before the the test if I have 24-7 from now to August 10th? I'm not the most efficient at studying but I just want to know if it is even possible. If it is, it might give me some hope...

I will likely try to make my final decision this week by doing 2 more full lengths. What kind of score should I expect if I am to get my target score by test day? a 10 or higher on verbal/9 or higher on both? At least one 32 or above/both at least 30?

Thanks so much.

I buckled down and studied around 20 days before my test. But before that I took the TPR and scored around 30ish to begin with. After the intense studying, I scored around 35ish. I still don't know what my score is, I'll let you know tomorrow. But I think it's possible 😀 Just believe in yourself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Those scores don't look too bad! I think you should try some AAMC tests because they're completely different from Kaplan's in my opinion (more conceptual, less calculations), and see how you do. If you study really hard in the next 20 days or so you have a good chance at getting 30+, but a guaranteed 35+ is more luck/performance once you have the concepts down.
 
Last edited:
I haven't done them all yet but 3 is the easiest if you want a good confidence booster/introduction to AAMC style testing, 4-6 are probably average, and definitely do 10 and/or 11 for most accurate representation of what the real test is like!
 
I buckled down and studied around 20 days before my test. But before that I took the TPR and scored around 30ish to begin with. After the intense studying, I scored around 35ish. I still don't know what my score is, I'll let you know tomorrow. But I think it's possible 😀 Just believe in yourself.

Well damn, what did you do during those 20days if I might ask?
 
Well damn, what did you do during those 20days if I might ask?

I locked myself in my room and just studied. I didn't step my foot out of the front door of my house even once in 20 days. The first time I went outside the house in those 20 days was to take the MCAT. The only time I left my room was to the bathroom or eat. I gained about 7 pounds n I almost went crazy. But I hope it was all worth it!

In 20 days, i finished all EK subject books with practice tests
4 princeton review text books
princeton review work book
princeton review science workbook
berkley review chem and physics
all princeton review FL
all AAMC FL
2 kaplan FL
2 mcat review series FL
n more practice problems offered by TPR online.
I think I did a lot of practice, you should too!
 
Last edited:
To the person that did al that review in 20 days I think that's a bit outrageous, it's very difficult to cover all that material using all those different books TBR and TPR and all AAMC+ Review and brush up on the topics you find your self weak in, locking yourself in a room for 20 days isn't going to help you magically, you will be fatigued and you have to sleep obviously so you wont be studying 24/7 there will be days will you will be burnt out and probably not do anything MCAT related/ sleep all day not because you dont want too, but you just wont be able to do so anymore.. now I am not sure how is this person prepped up for this TEST but buckling down 20 days before will not get you a 30+ unless you have mastered all subjects before those 20 days, maybe they have a very strong foundation in the sciences, OP keep in mind this is an online forum people can say whatever they please and brag about things we have no way of authenticating anything, this is your test and your score sit down with yourself and see is it realistically possible for you to score the score that you need with the time left? dont gamble if you think you are not ready worse case scenario take it and void and take it again in January
Best of luck
 
To the person that did al that review in 20 days I think that's a bit outrageous, it's very difficult to cover all that material using all those different books TBR and TPR and all AAMC+ Review and brush up on the topics you find your self weak in, locking yourself in a room for 20 days isn't going to help you magically, you will be fatigued and you have to sleep obviously so you wont be studying 24/7 there will be days will you will be burnt out and probably not do anything MCAT related/ sleep all day not because you dont want too, but you just wont be able to do so anymore.. now I am not sure how is this person prepped up for this TEST but buckling down 20 days before will not get you a 30+ unless you have mastered all subjects before those 20 days, maybe they have a very strong foundation in the sciences, OP keep in mind this is an online forum people can say whatever they please and brag about things we have no way of authenticating anything, this is your test and your score sit down with yourself and see is it realistically possible for you to score the score that you need with the time left? dont gamble if you think you are not ready worse case scenario take it and void and take it again in January
Best of luck

keep in mind I said I already took the Princeton Review course, so all the Princeton review books n review books were mostly finished. I just finished up what was left. I guess it was misleading?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it depends on WHY you are getting your wrong questions wrong. If it's simply a matter of "I didn't know the necessary background information" or you didn't carefully read the question, it would not be an unreasonable feat to boost both your BS and PS scores by 1-2 points. VR is obviously a tricky beast, and I don't know if you can appreciably increase your average VR performance in 19 days, but it is certainly possible.
 
I know how you feel finishing my 8 week mcat course on Friday which was also the day of my test, so far I've gotten Scores below on aamc. I cancelled my date and rescheduled for later aug,23 or sep 6 class may be tough but it may help with mcat who knows. Struggling with verbal to, have you tried EK,s verbal? Maybe a passage a day or something may help you boost it up. Your almost there don't give up , it could be worse your average could be a 24 like me.......lol

Test. *PS VR BS
4= * * *6. 9. *9*
7=. * * 5. 7. *8*
5=. * * 6. 8. 10*
8=. * * 7 9. *10
9=. * * 9. 7. 8*
3=. * * 7. 10 10*
 
To the person that did al that review in 20 days I think that's a bit outrageous, it's very difficult to cover all that material using all those different books TBR and TPR and all AAMC+ Review and brush up on the topics you find your self weak in, locking yourself in a room for 20 days isn't going to help you magically, you will be fatigued and you have to sleep obviously so you wont be studying 24/7 there will be days will you will be burnt out and probably not do anything MCAT related/ sleep all day not because you dont want too, but you just wont be able to do so anymore.. now I am not sure how is this person prepped up for this TEST but buckling down 20 days before will not get you a 30+ unless you have mastered all subjects before those 20 days, maybe they have a very strong foundation in the sciences, OP keep in mind this is an online forum people can say whatever they please and brag about things we have no way of authenticating anything, this is your test and your score sit down with yourself and see is it realistically possible for you to score the score that you need with the time left? dont gamble if you think you are not ready worse case scenario take it and void and take it again in January
Best of luck

I think it's very possible depending on your study habits/dedication... I've locked myself away this past month at the library studying 8+ hours a day and went from a 23 to a 33. I've still got a month left though so I'm obviously not recommending anyone only prepare for less than a month, but I do think it can realistically be done as long as you put in the work. And since the OP has already scored a 29, I don't think it'd be an outrageous feat for them to get from a 29 to 30+ in 20 days.
 
I'm in the exact same boat. My study habits are not that spectacular to say the least, and my TPR prep class doesn't end until 8/5.


I can't say I have any advice, but I wish you the best! Good luck!!
 
Last edited:
Ya do let me know how you did. It will really be awesome if I can get it up to my desire score from now to the test!

Hi I told you I would let you know, and I got my score today 🙂

For that person that didn't believe me. This was what I was scoring when I first started studying.
Score1.jpg

This was during the middle, AAMC 5
ScreenShot2012-06-08at35328PM-1.jpg

This was towards the end, AAMC 10 or 9
ScreenShot2012-06-17at55615PM-1.jpg

This is what I got for the real thing
MCATSCORE.jpg


Don't give up! You can do it!!!
 
Wow Luvahgilahsa congrats.

I did an AAMC 10 yesterday and got a PS 13 VR 7 and BS 13. If I can't bring my verbal up in my next mock tomorrow, I think I will just go with the safe route and postpone until I am ready 🙁

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
 
I don't see your post in the 30+ thread...hint hint lol

Hi I told you I would let you know, and I got my score today 🙂

For that person that didn't believe me. This was what I was scoring when I first started studying.
Score1.jpg

This was during the middle, AAMC 5
ScreenShot2012-06-08at35328PM-1.jpg

This was towards the end, AAMC 10 or 9
ScreenShot2012-06-17at55615PM-1.jpg

This is what I got for the real thing
MCATSCORE.jpg


Don't give up! You can do it!!!