Should I take the MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wam13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.94 cGPA and 3.90 sGPA, but I got a 32R (9 VR, 11 PS, 12 BS) on the MCAT. Should I take it again? I've heard mixed things about single digit subtest scores on the MCAT. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

BUT you got a 32R?! That's a score many people would love to have. Also, a 9 in VR is by no means bad, and I don't think it merits spending another $230 and worrying about reviewing for another test. If you have strong extracurriculars (read: clinical experience), recs, and a good PS, you will be invited to interview at several schools with those numbers.

In my opinion, you should definitely go ahead and apply with what you've got now. At any rate, good luck! :thumbup:

What schools do you think I should apply to? I kind of have a list, but I just want to get an idea of where I should be looking at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well no school is out of the question for you based solely on numbers, but you still need to spread out your applications. Apply to your in-state med schools (esp. ones that prefer residents), then check out schools like Drexel, GWU, Georgetown, BU, etc. as a step up from there. Note that all of those schools I just listed get several thousand applications annually, but I think your chances would still be just as good (if not better) than many out of those thousands.

If you're looking to apply to some intense reach schools (and who isn't really?), I'd suggest picking a few (no more than 4-5) that really appeal to you. Go with what you like in terms of the opportunities that different med schools offer their students (this will generally extend beyond the classroom/lab).

All of this advice comes from my personal experience with the app process thus far, but I'd also suggest talking with your pre-med advisor (hopefully your school/alma mater has one...) about school selection. If you feel like you need any more specific advice, please feel free to PM me!

What schools do you think I should apply to? I kind of have a list, but I just want to get an idea of where I should be looking at.
With your 3.92/32, schools in your target zone (with decent OOS matriculation rate) would be:
Emory, Dartmouth, NYU, Ohio State, UCSF,
UCF, USCal, Boston, Tufts, SLU, Einstein, Rochester,
Colorado, UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin

Slight reaches:
Mayo, Case, UVirginia, UTSW, UPennsylvania

Safeties:
Loma Linda, Loyola, RFU, UKentucky, Creighton, Albany, SUNY Downstate, Hofstra (new), Jefferson, MCW