MD Advice for unsuccessful applicant to reapply again (Canadian)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MNEDrTwinz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a Canadian pre-med who is Graduating from undergrad this Spring in a Bachelor of science. I applied this cycle (2021-22) to 26 US schools, and did not receive a single II. Considering the cycle is almost complete, I would like some advice for how to approach re-applying for the upcoming cycle. I do feel quite defeated, but I am willing to do anything I can truly.

Stats:
Undergraduate: cGPA: 3.91 sGPA (BCPM): 3.91
I am currently in my final year of Undergraduate study so I will be adding in my grades for my senior year which should bring my cGPA and sGPA to 3.92
MCAT:
I took the MCAT twice, with my second score being: 512 (130 Chem / 126 CARS / 128 Bio / 128 Psych)
(In case it matters, my first MCAT was: total 508 chem 127 bio 128 psych 128)

I have a Canadian citizenship, and I am white.

My undergraduate institution is top 16 in Canada. I am also applying to do an MPH in Canada during my time after I graduate and wait during the 2022-2023 cycle.

Clinical experience:
160 volunteer hours - mission trip & volunteered abroad
Research:
144 hours - research assistant - medical related (not published)
100 hours - project research director - not medical, not published
Shadowing:
180 hours - child psychiatrist and family physician
Non-clinical volunteering:
volunteered in a long term care home during the pandemic, 100 hours
Other extracurriculars:
Played on the provincial field hockey team, have had non-medical jobs
Awards: Academic leadership scholarship for making significant leadership contributions to the community and their citizens, entrance scholarship (based on grades), dean's list x3

For schools I applied to, the list is: VCU, University of Utah, UNC, Maryland, Illinois, John burns, connecticut, university of colorado, UCLA, Boston, Central Michigan, Emory, George washington, georgetown, keck, meharry, michigan state, NYMC, SUNY, toledo, brown, tufts, tulane, UCLA (Drew), University of arizona tuscon

Please let me know anything I can do to improve my application as I feel so lost at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the schools you applied to are state public schools that accept few non residents (and even fewer international applicants) with no connection to the state. You should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
You also need clinical volunteering besides mission trips. 200+ hours in Canada or the USA.

Most of the schools you applied to are state public schools that accept few non residents (and even fewer international applicants) with no connection to the state. You should apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
CCOM
KCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
MSUCOM
NSU-KPCOM
Touro-NY
UNECOM
WCU-COM
WESTERN
You also need clinical volunteering besides mission trips. 200+ hours in Canada or the USA.
Ok, thank you Faha!
Are the DO schools you mentioned very friendly towards international applicants?
As well, do you think the clinical volunteering should be from various physicians or should I be okay if I just get experience in one clinical setting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why aren't you applying to Canadian schools? Is it just the MCAT? In my opinion, your MCAT score shut you out because the US MD schools would rather take from their own because it costs so much as an international student.

Do some serious networking with students at the DO schools and find out if there is a good number of Canadian students there and why

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, thank you Faha!
Are the DO schools you mentioned very friendly towards international applicants?
As well, do you think the clinical volunteering should be from various physicians or should I be okay if I just get experience in one clinical setting?
yes, the DO schools I listed admit international applicants. One clinical setting is fine for clinical volunteering.

Why aren't you applying to Canadian schools? Is it just the MCAT? In my opinion, your MCAT score shut you out because the US MD schools would rather take from their own because it costs so much as an international student.

Do some serious networking with students at the DO schools and find out if there is a good number of Canadian students there and why
I did apply to Canadian schools as well! Thank you for your input.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to AZCOM this cycle as a Canadian. Hit me up if you got any questions!

Reactions: 1 users