Medical Should I take the MCAT now or work to improve my practice test scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am considering what steps to take next in my path to medical school, and would like input.
Female URM cGPA 3.49 sGPA 3.40 June 2018 MCAT 495 May 2019 MCAT 496
I have my third MCAT scheduled, but my scores are around my previous MCAT scores, so my plan is to take it and void the exam.
The low MCAT is the main component of my application negatively impacting my chances of acceptance. I applied to school on June 4, before knowing my May MCAT score.

I am trying to see what possible options I have, and which is the best option. So far, I have:
1. Void June MCAT and continue with application process
2. Withdraw application, obtain full-time employment and study for the MCAT
3. Withdraw application, obtain part-time employment, and study for the MCAT (and possibly hire an MCAT tutor) What is the best option, and are there any other options I am not considering? Thank you in advance.
I can't recommend taking and then voiding. The risk of NOT voiding is too great.

Suggest either an SMP with linkage, OR retaking the MCAT only when you are 100% ready, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Agreeing... if you're eligible to get a partial refund on your MCAT, get the refund. If you are not seeing improvement in your MCAT towards your goal range, don't take the exam, especially since this is a third attempt. Remember some schools will average the MCAT attempts when doing a screen.

There is no shame in withdrawing, but you should also make every effort to network with admissions staff for advice. Most admissions and student services staff want to see you succeed as a student, but we also know what faculty want the admissions committee members to look for.

If you are looking to apply to MSI/HBCU-associated medical schools (Meharry, Howard, etc.), you may want to consider moving forward in the application process but talk to the students and recent alumni of that program. That would be the only circumstance where I think you have a strong shot of getting considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.