Should I take the PSAT as a sophomore?

hippo_crates

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I'm a sophomore in high school right now and the PSATs for my year are coming up and I'm worried that I might miss out if I don't take it now. I'm planning on taking it the first semester of my junior year and then for real in the next semester but I'm still worried that I might need to take it now. What does everyone else think?

Members don't see this ad.

My PSAT is coming up (I'm a junior) and I was going to take it but I was selected to take a free SAT course so I don't think I need to. If I felt horrible about it I would take the PSAT, but I don't. Take it if you feel like you need to, but you really don't need to stress about it right now. The PSAT will give you an idea of what's going to be on the SAT, but honestly you could do great on the PSAT and horrible on the SAT & vice versa.

I got a really good score on the PSAT but did much worse on the real SAT. It doesn't really help out much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it but do not study for it. It's a really good way to get a jump start on what the testing environment will feel like as well as the flow of the real SAT.

Reactions: 1 users
My PSAT is coming up (I'm a junior) and I was going to take it but I was selected to take a free SAT course so I don't think I need to
The SAT course should not interfere with your taking of the PSAT. Free scholarship money awaits you if you perform well on the PSAT, so why not take the class and the test?

OP, the PSAT is a good way to get a feel of what the SAT is like. The major difference between the two tests really is the amount of stamina you need for the SAT. A lot of students I've tutored have had the same experience--they do well on the PSAT but get worn down from 4 hours of SAT questions and underperform. Thus, learn the SAT question style from taking the PSAT and then get cracking on improving your test-taking stamina.

Yes, don't study for it and take it. That way, when you get your scores back, you can see what you need to study.

I'd take it twice, having a practice run as a Sophomore will give you a better shot at National Merit when you take it for real as a Junior

I would take it but do not study for it. It's a really good way to get a jump start on what the testing environment will feel like as well as the flow of the real SAT.

Totally agreed with this, took the PSAT and I remember realizing my weaknesses. My real score on the SAT was significantly higher than my PSAT scores. I also didn't take the PSAT seriously to be honest lol. I vaguely remember being very sleepy during it.

Totally agreed with this, took the PSAT and I remember realizing my weaknesses. My real score on the SAT was significantly higher than my PSAT scores. I also didn't take the PSAT seriously to be honest lol. I vaguely remember being very sleepy during it.
How can people not give a **** at all about the PSAT? Doing well enough on it guarantees you a full-ride offer to U of Oklahoma, plus $8,000 wherever you end up and a boost to your competitiveness everywhere. That makes it considerably more important than any exams you'll take for classes that year!

How can people not give a **** at all about the PSAT? Doing well enough on it guarantees you a full-ride offer to U of Oklahoma, plus $8,000 wherever you end up and a boost to your competitiveness everywhere. That makes it considerably more important than any exams you'll take for classes that year!

Talking to someone 4 years removed from high school lol. I didn't take the PSATs seriously so I can see where you are coming from. If you prep early and can score very well, you can get scholarships. I didn't start to really prep for the SATs until the very end of junior year.