Mar 31, 2010
Status
Walgreens offers me a signing bonus of $30K with 3 years commitment. i've never been to that area and i don't know anything about it. should i take the bonus? have anyone ever regret that you took the bonus? please share your thoughts

Thanks

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I hear they own you after you take that bonus.

Jun 6, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I guess if you don't have a family yet, you can do the 3 years to make some money to pay off school loans and then request to transfer or find another job.

Feb 25, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
your bonus will probably be taxed up front. if you want to leave/quit/relocate you may be required to pay back the bonus since its tied to the location you would start working. if you feel at all that you might not want to stay there for the entire duration you can always just sign, accept the bonus, invest it somewhere accessible and don't spend it until you are sure about the working situation. otherwise you would have to work enough to be able to pay it back to them. thats usually how they "own" you.

confettiflyer

Did you just say something?
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status
Pharmacist
your bonus will probably be taxed up front. if you want to leave/quit/relocate you may be required to pay back the bonus since its tied to the location you would start working. if you feel at all that you might not want to stay there for the entire duration you can always just sign, accept the bonus, invest it somewhere accessible and don't spend it until you are sure about the working situation. otherwise you would have to work enough to be able to pay it back to them. thats usually how they "own" you.
better to pay the tax now...let's assume the OP graduates this year, even a $30k bonus will keep him in a low bracket since he had zero/minimal income january-june.

need more details...location? are they guaranteeing hours? how far do you have to commute? hmmmm

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Walgreens offers me a signing bonus of $30K with 3 years commitment. i've never been to that area and i don't know anything about it. should i take the bonus? have anyone ever regret that you took the bonus? please share your thoughts

Thanks
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, your question has been asked and answered on here a 100 times. Do a search for sign on bonus and you will have hours of reading.

Third, it is impossible to answer your question with the information you have provided. You need to include more information such as, the location (at least the state), the shift, base pay, your experience, has POWER been implemented ect.

genesis09

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status
Pharmacist

Thanks
I took the money at Wags. I got a good portion of the taxes back when I did taxes. From what I hear, Power is going to be significantly modified. Here in WI, we won't get the entire show. I believe we'll get central call and a few other things.