Should I take the USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Narcos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone OMS-2 here. I have been preparing for USMLE/COMLEX but it came across my mind to not take USMLE and just take COMLEX.
I don't plan on going into anything super competitive. I am interested in ER, OB, Internal, anesthesia etc. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not taking the USMLE. I just wanted to get your thoughts. My logic is...well Its easier/less stressful/cheaper to focus on one exam and be done. PLEASE let me know y'all thoughts

Best,
Dr. Narcos

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to this question is almost always yes. There are only a couple of instances I can think of where not taking the USMLE is a good choice.

1. You are such a poor student that you are barely passing your classes and are at high risk for failing COMLEX, which means you will have even worse chance of passing Step.

2. You are 100% dead set on Family Medicine or Pediatrics. These are the only two specialties to the best of my knowledge where a large portion of programs are happy to match students consistently without USMLE.

For every other specialty an average or even slightly below average USMLE will benefit you and an above average USMLE will open a lot of doors. Once your application is in front of a PDs eyes they want to compare your medical knowledge to other medical students and the only objective measure they have is the USMLE. Unfortunately many of them don't know how or don't want to use COMLEX. They use Step because it's familiar to them.

Reactions: 1 users
The answer to this question is almost always yes. There are only a couple of instances I can think of where not taking the USMLE is a good choice.

1. You are such a poor student that you are barely passing your classes and are at high risk for failing COMLEX, which means you will have even worse chance of passing Step.

2. You are 100% dead set on Family Medicine or Pediatrics. These are the only two specialties to the best of my knowledge where a large portion of programs are happy to match students consistently without USMLE.

For every other specialty an average or even slightly below average USMLE will benefit you and an above average USMLE will open a lot of doors. Once your application is in front of a PDs eyes they want to compare your medical knowledge to other medical students and the only objective measure they have is the USMLE. Unfortunately many of them don't know how or don't want to use COMLEX. They use Step because it's familiar to them.

Thanks for the info! Ive heard if you don't take it you close doors...but I wasn't sure how many or if the amount of doors isn't relevant depending on the specialty of interest. Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think even passing USMLE 210+ will open more doors than not having one.

Of the specialities you mentioned, OB and Gas are much more likely to prefer Steps.

Reactions: 1 user
Residency director perspective. Anyone considering questions like this should consult the data tables available from AAMC at Report on Residents

Full disclosure: I only took COMLEX
1610122696114.png

1610122712007.png

1610122938043.png

1610123009167.png

Attachments

• 1610123001296.png
    1610123001296.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 users
Agree with those postings above! USMLE well definitely open many doors for you!

Last edited by a moderator: