Should I take this hospital job.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AminoAcid777

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I've been working as a retail pharmacist the past 2 years, and it's driving me nuts...I'm currently interviewing for a hospital pharmacist staff job in a major hospital...the only draw back is that if I got the job (big if), I'd have to take a 20K pay cut.....is it worth it? Right now I'm leaning on taking the pay cut, just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this?? Is the pay cut worth it?
 
So I've been working as a retail pharmacist the past 2 years, and it's driving me nuts...I'm currently interviewing for a hospital pharmacist staff job in a major hospital...the only draw back is that if I got the job (big if), I'd have to take a 20K pay cut.....is it worth it? Right now I'm leaning on taking the pay cut, just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this?? Is the pay cut worth it?

What's the staffing situation? CPOE? Benefits? Shift? Duties?
 
So I've been working as a retail pharmacist the past 2 years, and it's driving me nuts...I'm currently interviewing for a hospital pharmacist staff job in a major hospital...the only draw back is that if I got the job (big if), I'd have to take a 20K pay cut.....is it worth it? Right now I'm leaning on taking the pay cut, just wanted to get other people's thoughts on this?? Is the pay cut worth it?

Do you think you would be much happier working at this hospital? Would you be ok with the transition until you get used to it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't have specific info on that yet until the next stage of my interview...:-/ All I can say is its a big hospital, most likely well staffed, good benefits from what I hear, shifts are going to be morning/evenings, perhaps 2 weekends a month, duties (I guess basic staff pharmacist duties of a decentralized pharmacist)...will provide more concrete info once I get it ...
 
Do you think you would be much happier working at this hospital? Would you be ok with the transition until you get used to it?

Yea I did all my rotations in a hospital so I have a little bit of hospital experience, I'm really more clinically orientated, and I enjoy working in a clinical environment...and I just know I don't want to spend the rest of my life in retail..would I be happy working in a hospital? I really don't know...I guess I would have to try it to find out...
 
Yea I did all my rotations in a hospital so I have a little bit of hospital experience, I'm really more clinically orientated, and I enjoy working in a clinical environment...and I just know I don't want to spend the rest of my life in retail..would I be happy working in a hospital? I really don't know...I guess I would have to try it to find out...

Well, there you go. Are you nervous and want some encouragement? Well here you go - I say go for it!


Good Luck!
 
Yea I did all my rotations in a hospital so I have a little bit of hospital experience, I'm really more clinically orientated, and I enjoy working in a clinical environment...and I just know I don't want to spend the rest of my life in retail..would I be happy working in a hospital? I really don't know...I guess I would have to try it to find out...

You answered your question right there! If you know you enjoy a more clinical environment and you do not want to stay in retail then make the switch! It is only going to get tougher and tougher to switch until the time comes when it is almost impossible.

With evening differentials and weekend pay, the pay cut may not be as big as you think. You might be able to pick up some PRN retail hours also. GO FOR IT!😀
 
If I were you, I would take it. I'm doing retail right now and been trying to get a hospital job for a while. I know the pay cut is huge, but to me, it's worth it. I'd rather a pay cut and work at a job that I enjoy, than make more money and be stressed out and miserable all the time.
 
20K is a pretty big salary difference. What is the hourly rate you would make? Are you still going to make 100K+?

Financially, we need to know some more information. Do they make up some of the salary difference with better benefits, overtime opportunities, increased vacation time, etc? Also, will this salary increase after you get more experience in this position? What kind of promotion opportunities exist?

I agree with other posters that you should definitely consider the job as hospital opportunities keep getting more and more difficult to get. I was at a career expo the other day and all the pharmacy recruiters at hospitals are starting to tell us that they primarily considering PGY2 residency students. One recruiter even said they don't hire PGY1 residents unless they did their residency at their hospital. The worst thing I heard all day was that one recruiter wasn't even sure if a PGY2 residency would be enough to get hired at her facility and she recommended considering a fellowship on top of the PGY2. So, the market keeps getting tighter-- carefully consider all opportunities.
 
I still don't know all the financial details, and benefit details...as soon as I get it ill post it on here...yes I would still be at a 100K..so thats good...I think I'm gonna go for it if I get it...As this opportunity may never present itself again with such a tight market...

Thanks everyone for all your input, keep em coming 🙂