Should I take this mail order rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been interested in mail order since 4-5th year of pharm school. there's an opportunity for me to take a mail order rotation. normally i would immediately jump at this but the issue is the commute will be very long. with traffic i'd be looking at potentially 1 hour and 30 mins of commute going to the rotation and on the way back. that's 3 hours a day of commute. total distance is about 20-23 miles. without traffic it's very do-able, would only be 45 minutes commute which i would be fine with, but the traffic kills it

because of the distance i don't think i'd want employment opportunities at this location so that's out in terms of benefits taking this rotation. however, i could gain some connections and insight while i'm there and maybe doing this rotation will open other doors regarding mail order for me, hopefully opportunities that are closer to where i live. the only reason i wouldn't take this rotation is because of the commute. if i do take this rotation i'd have to tolerate 5 weeks of potentially 3 hours of driving in traffic per day, should i take the rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've always been interested in mail order, I would just sign up for the rotation. You won't have this kind of opportunity again once you graduate. The best part of being a student was being able to freely experience different pharmacy settings.

Even if the commute is bad, I would suck it up. lol. Besides some rotations let you start earlier if you let them know about your commute time. I remember I used to have 1-1.25 hour commute in the morning going to 2 different rotations (PBM, hospital). I asked my preceptors if I could start/leave earlier and they were like sure. No biggie. It shortened my commute by 20-30 minutes in the morning.

You can also try carpooling with other students at your rotation too so you can drive in the carpool lane.

Reactions: 4 users
Ditto the previous post. Just do it. Some ideas:

1. Relocate temporarily. Crash with friends. Sublet.

2. Leave early and return home late to skip traffic woes. Go to a Starbucks/Panera before and after - have work or movies handy.

3. Alter hours agreed upon. E.g. 10am-6pm or 8am-4pm.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Barring some exceptional circumstances (don't have a car/can't afford gas/have a health condition that would make it very uncomfortable or unhealthy to spend that much time in a car/have to be back home by a certain hour to take care of dependents, etc.), I really don't see any good reason to skip out on this opportunity just because of the inconvenient commute for 5 weeks. Honestly, an hour and a half commute each way is the reality for a lot of working adults, and really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things (i.e. people do it for years and survive). The other consideration is if you don't take this rotation what is the alternative?

Don't let the distance get in the way. Use Airbnb if you have to.

If it is out of the way then that means less competition for a pharmacist job. It is sure better than retail hell.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

thanks all for the replies, i haven't thought that i might be able to alter hours such as 7 or 8am to 3-4pm. that would allow me to bypass traffic. if not this rotation i would have to take a random acute patient care rotation in some hospital that i could care less about. since i would much rather do this mail order rotation i'm going to take it

Reactions: 1 user
Mail order jobs are typically scarce and are not in the suburbs. in fact a lot are in industrial areas and are in remote locations. Most people have to move for that kind of a job. If you are serious about working for mail order upon graduation, i recommend changing your expectations and mindset about moving. I think this is a tremendous opportunity to not only get your foot in the door, but also evaluate if the job is right for you

Reactions: 3 users
i've been interested in mail order since 4-5th year of pharm school. there's an opportunity for me to take a mail order rotation. normally i would immediately jump at this but the issue is the commute will be very long. with traffic i'd be looking at potentially 1 hour and 30 mins of commute going to the rotation and on the way back. that's 3 hours a day of commute. total distance is about 20-23 miles. without traffic it's very do-able, would only be 45 minutes commute which i would be fine with, but the traffic kills it

because of the distance i don't think i'd want employment opportunities at this location so that's out in terms of benefits taking this rotation. however, i could gain some connections and insight while i'm there and maybe doing this rotation will open other doors regarding mail order for me, hopefully opportunities that are closer to where i live. the only reason i wouldn't take this rotation is because of the commute. if i do take this rotation i'd have to tolerate 5 weeks of potentially 3 hours of driving in traffic per day, should i take the rotation?

Just do it #winning