Should I take time to teach a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drewmighty

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So my school has asked me to essentially teach an undergraduate genetics class. The school is super low on TA's and the head of the bio department has asked I essentially TA and give lectures to a small class of 10 students who need extra help. I am a Post Bac finishing my second year and I am going to be taking difficult courses. Is this an insanely good opportunity? I guess I am worried about this interfering with my classes that will require lots of work and time particularly biochem, ochem, and anatomy.

I am also currently the tutor for Genetics at my schools student peer tutoring program so I do get lots of teaching and also volunteer to tutor kids already.

So TL😀R. Is teaching a class crazy good for my application, or is the amount of work it would be not worth it?
 
So my school has asked me to essentially teach an undergraduate genetics class. The school is super low on TA's and the head of the bio department has asked I essentially TA and give lectures to a small class of 10 students who need extra help. I am a Post Bac finishing my second year and I am going to be taking difficult courses. Is this an insanely good opportunity? I guess I am worried about this interfering with my classes that will require lots of work and time particularly biochem, ochem, and anatomy.

I am also currently the tutor for Genetics at my schools student peer tutoring program so I do get lots of teaching and also volunteer to tutor kids already.

So TL😀R. Is teaching a class crazy good for my application, or is the amount of work it would be not worth it?
Only if you want to. yes, the experience is good, but it's not worth wrecking your schedule.