Should I tell a program that I applied to two specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peach4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If they ask and see me interviewing with another specialty in the same hospital, should I just tell them beforehand?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not... if they ask, then tell them. Otherwise, don't draw attention to it!

This is exactly why you should NOT apply to two different specialties at the same hospital. I think you should avoid telling the programs that you are applying for multiple specialties unless they specifically ask. My thinking is that if a program finds out that you are applying to multiple specialties they will start questioning your desire and dedication towards their specialty. I've had situations where interviewers in EM asked me what was my backup plan in case I did not match and I told them that I would scramble into a prelim IM position and then reapply to EM as it is my ultimate goal and passion (which is what I ended up doing). The interviewer appreciated my honesty but it might have been different if I was actually applying to IM at the same time. Yes, many times people apply to multiple specialties as they are not 100% sure what they want to do, but still, I don't think they should tell the particular program that they are applying to something else. I've known people that applyied to Rads, Anesthesia, IM at the same time and when they were at a particular program, their job was to sell that they want to do that specialty. Just my 2 cents.