Should I test the water in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJMcDonough

Pharmacist Hopeful!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I am wondering if it is alright to take the upcoming August PCAT to “test the water” and see how I will do.:rolleyes:

I am taking organic chem and anatomy & physiology in the summer; I am also planning to start writing my PS soon for my applications, so that I can hopefully submit them by July. These classes and applications may leave me not too much time for the August PCAT, but I’m anxious to give it a try so that I can learn from it when I’m taking it in the October test, for which I just registered a minute ago. As far as reviewing is concerned, I gradated from my university with a BA in Neuroscience two years ago… So a lot of information needs to be refreshed in my mind. But I really hope that with good time management, I can still sit for the August PCAT.

So here are a couple of questions:
  • Do most pharm schools look at the better/highest PCAT scores or do they do the average?
  • Do I have to report every PCAT attempt on my applications? Or, is it ok to skip the bad ones, provided that the scores of the bad ones are not sent to any schools?! :confused:
I do NOT have any intensions to hide any bad records, but it would be a pitty if my August attempt will be less than satisfactory. What do you think? Thank you ahead for your input!

Sara

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools take the highest score, but some either average or take the most recent so look at the schools you are interested in. When you apply to pharmacy school, you will send a PCAT score report from the company that runs the PCAT. The report will show all your scores. One possibility is taking the test in August but choosing the no score option so you can get the practice. The company who runs the PCAT was also supposed to put out a full-length practice test this year. I don't know how good that is but it would be a cheaper option.