Should I transfer from UNT to UT before apllying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ae0124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a junior in college at UNT but have always wanted to go to UT. Ill already be taking a year off because I'm not applying to med school until my senior year. Would transferring to UT this late and staying in school an extra year while still applying to medical school my senior year be an unwise decision? Would this also hurt me Med school application?

Members don't see this ad.

You're a junior but you're taking off a year to apply in your senior year? Do you mean you're taking next year as another junior year and then the year after that is your senior year and you'll be applying?

If you transfer it won't have an impact on getting into medical school. UNT is a great school as is UT. Unless you're on scholarship, I wouldn't take an extra year if you don't have to. The debt just isn't worth it. Now, if you need an extra year for EC's, MCAT, whatever then it is easier to just stay in school an extra year. If you just wanted to take an extra year off before school you could always graduate and try to find a job in Austin and experience the area for a year (I love Austin so I understand the attraction) and work full time.

Sorry for the confusion I'm currently a junior but will apply to medical school my Senior year next spring. So during the waiting process to hear back from Med schools I would be done with undergrad. If I transfer to UT, since my last 60 credit hours have to be from UT, during that year I'm hearing back from Med schools (hopefully) I would still be in school. Thats not a bad Idea though I never considered just moving their after undergrad but I would love really love to attend UT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im currently a junior in college at UNT but have always wanted to go to UT. Ill already be taking a year off because I'm not applying to med school until my senior year. Would transferring to UT this late and staying in school an extra year while still applying to medical school my senior year be an unwise decision? Would this also hurt me Med school application?

I don't think it will hurt. UT's natural/ physical sciences programs are some of the best in the nation. It is a significantly harder school. I know people that have gone from a being a scrub their junior year to working for NIH a year later. If you want to go to UT, go.

I would agree, but make sure it is the place you are 100% certain you want to graduate from. I have heard that medical schools don't like to see more than one transfer...as it calls into question the ability to stick with something... which is kind of a big deal in medical school