Internal transfer from University of Queensland program to University of Queensland -Oschner program possibility and suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aftaab_md

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am Non trad student, age: 28. Have a master degree in engineering from US, bachelors foreign degree(India). I will be applying to US med schools this cycle. Problem is i am not a US PR yet ( in process ~1 year to go)due to that i am at a big disadvantage applying to US schools ( I will be applying as an international student) . I am thinking of applying to Univeristy of Queensland, get in by january 2024 and wait to transfer internally to Oschner program. Was wondering is it even possible to do that ? This will save 2 years of my life. I am canadian resident btw. Or do you guys suggest any other australian med school for that matter or any other schools which will help me get in to US residency with the most match rate ?

Members don't see this ad.

You want the highest US residency chance you would be best to wait the year to become a full green card holder and apply to US schools. Spend the year making your application better and chill. There’s literally no rush especially at 28 that’s not old at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

I am Non trad student, age: 28. Have a master degree in engineering from US, bachelors foreign degree(India). I will be applying to US med schools this cycle. Problem is i am not a US PR yet ( in process ~1 year to go)due to that i am at a big disadvantage applying to US schools ( I will be applying as an international student) . I am thinking of applying to Univeristy of Queensland, get in by january 2024 and wait to transfer internally to Oschner program. Was wondering is it even possible to do that ? This will save 2 years of my life. I am canadian resident btw. Or do you guys suggest any other australian med school for that matter or any other schools which will help me get in to US residency with the most match rate ?
I spoke to a representative from UQ/ Ochsner recently and he said graduates of that program would still be classified as FMGs, even though half of their time is spent in the US.
If you’re sure about 1 more year for your PR status, it might be better to wait & apply to any US school

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to a representative from UQ/ Ochsner recently and he said graduates of that program would still be classified as FMGs, even though half of their time is spent in the US.
If you’re sure about 1 more year for your PR status, it might be better to wait & apply to any US school
Interesting, didn't know that fact. But there match rates are really good though close to 95%. I think i can get in to UQ this cycle and if i can transfer internally to oschner program, that would save 2 years which i prefer tbh.

Did they allow internal transfers have you heard that before ? i mailed them, didnt get a reply on that.

You want the highest US residency chance you would be best to wait the year to become a full green card holder and apply to US schools. Spend the year making your application better and chill. There’s literally no rush especially at 28 that’s not old at all.
Appreciate the response. Right now i have time in life and things in my life are more fluid, never know what next year would be. Would atleast take a chance. Applying to international student to US schools is closely to impossible with my Undergrad GPA - 3.66. Canadian schools are impossible too unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone wondering if its possible to internally transfer. yes you can do that. They just replied back to me.
1679276733797.png

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For anyone wondering if its possible to internally transfer. yes you can do that. They just replied back to me.
View attachment 368035
Hey sorry to bump this old thread, but I just wanted to chime in on this. I'm a current UQ-Ochsner student. If you choose to go down this route, please be sure that you would be okay remaining in the traditional UQ cohort and proceeding to become a doctor in Australia. This transfer program was launched last year, but to my knowledge all applications to transfer thus far have been denied. That may change in the future, but it's definitely not something I would rely on.

It can be difficult for UQ international students to match to the US, match rate is usually around 50% and it can be a huge pain to prepare to match to the US, Canada, and Australia so many students just cut out trying for the US as it's the most burdensome. If you're okay with ending back up in Canada though, and you're okay with a less competitive specialty, then the UQ traditional route may be a good one for you. Generally most Canadian UQ grads who want to return to Canada have historically able to do so, assuming flexibility in specialty and location, although the recent inflexibility imposed by COVID has messed that up for the last few years. See more here: International graduate employment outcomes - Medical School - University of Queensland

Either way, if you are admitted to UQ traditional/non-Ochsner, you should be prepared to train and practice in Australia. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that!

Reactions: 1 user