Should I Try This Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I had talked to the lady that runs a wildlife rehab center and she said I could volunteer. I decided against it because the clinic I work at now offered me a full time job a few days later so I took that instead. Since then I am now part time at the clinic because I have been trying to diversify my experiences. I had no animal experience last year and now have 1600 volunteer hours at a therapuetic riding facility. The last few weeks my focus has been trying to gain additional vet experience since about 95% of my vet hours are from one mixed animal clinic. I have been allowed to start volunteering this week or next week at an equine hospital and an equine reproduction center (staffed by vets). The only thing is that these are both 90 minutes away which I dont mind but I probably can only go there once a week for each.

Randomly after more than a year since I last talked to her this lady from the wildlife rahab center emails me and says that she could offer me a part time paid position. My hours would be 4 days a week mornings and one afternoon.

I actually do know the facility somewhat. I have gone on a few field calls there this past year and it is a little sketchy. The center is basically a barn and another building located on this ladies farm but no vets are present so it would be an animal experience. The lady is known in the community as being "unstable" but still friendly. However, this experience is much closer than the equine opportunities.

I am not sure if I should take her on the offer as 4 days a week means I cannot go to the equine opportunities due to their distance and the fact I work a few days a week at the mixed animal clinic. However, I am not sure if it would look better to have an additional animal experience with wildlife or have additional vet experiences with horses (I deal with alot of horses at the clinic). I basically have 2000 hours vet experience at one clinic and 1600 hours at one animal experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a thought, but is there a way you could ask your top few vet school options? They may not listen to the whole story and tell you what to do, but you could ask in general how they look at animal vs. vet experience, and if they prefer diversity or depth. I can think of certain schools that would prefer you have the wildlife experience (a la Mizzou), and others probably wouldn't value it as much and would prefer you stick more to your area of interest.

Just a thought, but is there a way you could ask your top few vet school options?

I don't think you lose anything by asking. Call and see if you can set up a meeting (phone or in-person, as appropriate). Worst case they say they don't do that kind of thing; I can't imagine them holding it against someone for asking.

That said, if it were me I'd go for the equine vet experience over the animal wildlife experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
go for the equine.

vet experience trumps animal experience, IMHO.

and besides I would never choose to work for someone who is labeled as "unstable" (Granted, I've worked jobs where I found out AFTERWARDS that the boss was unstable! :laugh:)

My second choice other than UF (IS) is Tufts and they said that they "look for variety and depth." Fortunately the mixed animal clinic has given me a little wildlife experience, not much but I have worked with a few racoons, a litter of skunks, one deer, and a few birds. I personally think wildlife is interesting and definetly would not mind having an experience, I just wish there was a vet on staff there. It would be nice to get paid but honestly having to go in 4 hours each morning will ruin the rest of the day in terms of going to these equine experiences.

I think I will be pursuing these equine opportunities. My first day at the equine hospital is on thursday and the reproduction center is on monday. I am contemplating possibly only pursuing one long term since they are both about 90 minutes from my house. I think I can devote about two days a week total to these experiences; would you guys recommend doing both but having one day at each or two days at one of them (I am applying this year so you can estimate how many hours I would obtain by october 2nd)? I will obviously have to wait and see how they turn out first before I make any judgements.

Thanks!

MI think I can devote about two days a week total to these experiences; would you guys recommend doing both but having one day at each or two days at one of them (I am applying this year so you can estimate how many hours I would obtain by october 2nd)?

I'd do both. You'll get the same total number of hours but have more diversity. Plus, they both sound interesting. :)

That assumes they both DO turn out to be interesting. If one is a total dud and the other rocks, I wouldn't hesitate to do just the one.

I'd be wary of the wildlife lady. IMHO, unstable people should never be in charge of a facility full of animals (and I've seen it happen a few times leading to detrimental results). There are a lot of wildlife ladies out there who are so bat **** crazy that they put crazy feral cat ladies to shame. Especially if she's outwardly labeled unstable, it's a huge red flag.

If she's "one of those" rehabbers, there may not be too much for you to learn. Especially if it's going to prevent you from trying out other more exciting VETERINARY opportunities, there's a big chance that you'll lose out. And those two equine opportunities look amazing! Why not try out both? I know they're both equine, but I'd think it's diverse to have general equine clinic experience AND repro experience. But what do I know, I've had like 0 equine experience (except for some mules and donkeys at "one of those" wildlife places).

I'd be wary of the wildlife lady. IMHO, unstable people should never be in charge of a facility full of animals (and I've seen it happen a few times leading to detrimental results). There are a lot of wildlife ladies out there who are so bat **** crazy that they put crazy feral cat ladies to shame. Especially if she's outwardly labeled unstable, it's a huge red flag.

If she's "one of those" rehabbers, there may not be too much for you to learn. Especially if it's going to prevent you from trying out other more exciting VETERINARY opportunities, there's a big chance that you'll lose out. And those two equine opportunities look amazing! Why not try out both? I know they're both equine, but I'd think it's diverse to have general equine clinic experience AND repro experience. But what do I know, I've had like 0 equine experience (except for some mules and donkeys at "one of those" wildlife places).

+1. I also agree that for app purposes, vet experience trumps animal experience.

As someone who has spent time in an odd wildlife shelter, I'll caution you that you just may end up cleaning poop, cleaning cages, washing dishes, doing laundry, and getting peed on by baby animals that scratch you -- baby animals that potentially carry strange diseases. You might gain cash, but very little medical knowledge.

ALSO you're going to need letters of rec from a vet when you apply. It may be more beneficial to you to work with a vet vs the wildlife lady so you have more options for LORS.

I will be at least trying both experiences to see how they go. As far as LOR go I already have mine lined up with my other experiences but I might change that depending on how well I get to know vets at these experiences.

Ok so I went to both the equine hospital and the reproduction center. The equine hospital was absolutely amazing. I saw many things I have never seen before, the facility is state-of-the-art. Everyone there was extremely nice; there were several interns and vet students there and overall I just had a great time, I am going there again this week and hopefully 2-3 days a week from here on out.

The reproduction center was interesting. The veterinarian uses predominantly Chinese medicine in his practice. He does do standard field calls such as lameness/colics etc in addition to his repro business. I went with him on a call and his truck was largely stocked with chinese herbs; I saw very little traditional drugs on his truck and his treatments were all chinese herbs.

I do not have an issue with his treatments because I do not know enough about them to judge whether they are effective. At first I thought this might be a nice diversity booster for my application that I have been exposed to this side of veterinary medicine. However I got to thinking and I thought what if the adcom reading my file doesnt agree with Chinese treatments? He is relatively well known in this field and am just a little apprehensive.

Aside from the chinese medicine, his practice is mostly based on repro work and he specializes in it, but his services are not much more than what I do at the clinic I work at. He also said that his facility is a part time affair and I would have to call a few days prior to see if it is worth while to come in.

Should I stay there just to be able to put down I volunteered at another clinic or volunteer more at the hospital? I personally just have so much more interest in the hospital but I also want to maximize my chances so I am a bit undecided.

Thanks!

you could go to the other place once or twice more just so you could feel legitimate about putting it down, but i wouldnt worry too much.

just wanted to say maximize your time hitting up the interns and students about their school experiences, goals, etc. they are usually a wealth of knowledge and willing to share, and closest to where you're at in life right now