Medical Should I try to apply this year or wait a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for advice as to whether it would be worth it to give it a chance and apply this cycle or take another year to shore up clinical experience and volunteering.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS, around the same stats with AACOMAS.

Before post-bacc:
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 2.9
upwards trend.

Post-bacc: 3.8 GPA last semester 3.8-4.0 GPA this semester (grades not released yet). All upper level science classes. Cumulative 19 hours of post-bacc classes.

After post-bacc
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.1

MCAT: 519 1 attempt April 10, 2021
131/128/129/131

Research:
1000 hours - end of high school and college summers.

360 hours -started beginning of this year, working on a specific project and verbal commitment by PI for a publication.

Volunteering:
100 hours - high school volunteering at retirement home

22 hours- online mentoring

Clinical Experience:
60 hours - doctor shadowing.

Questions:
Is it worth a shot to apply this year to MD and DO schools?

Should I bother to include high school experiences on my app?

Critiques on my plans for another gap year also appreciated:
If I wait another year, I plan on working on my EC. I'll be doing part time research (talked with my PI and he was okay with this), part time clinical experience (nursing assistant or volunteering), continuing with online mentoring, and additional non-clinical or clinical volunteering as well. I do not plan on taking more classes.
You will not be accepted if you apply do to your lack of clinical experience. Take a year, get into some clinical stuff and boost your hours. You also need to boost your non-clinical volunteering doing things to help the less fortunate.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.