Medical Should I turn down early acceptance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. I am currently in an early acceptance program where I am guaranteed a spot in medical school next year provided that I get a 506 on my MCAT (testing in May) and maintain a 3.5 science GPA. Here’s the dilemma- my fiancé is also pre-med & I would MUCH prefer to go to school when he does. We are technically in the same graduating class, but I think he would be a stronger candidate if he had another year to boost his application. He is debating taking the MCAT when I do and applying this summer to prevent a gap year. Basically we have three options:

1) I stay in my program start a year earlier than him.

2) I stay in my program & he applies for the MD program I will be going to.. probably wouldn’t be the strongest candidate, but it’s a regional campus where maybe not many people would want to study in.

3) I drop out of my program & we both apply to DO schools this summer or next.
Take the sure thing. There is no guarantee your SO will ever get into med school, nor you, for that matter.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're doing well in your program, stay on your track, even if it means he comes a year after you. You can always change your schedule a bit when you're in medical school, but don't think this is a problem that will go away when you are considering your options for applying to residencies and other opportunities thereafter.

For any career path (more so with the competitiveness of med school acceptances) always take the sure course. Having an Ace in your hand now doesn’t mean you’ll pick it up again on the next cards dealt.

As mentioned, residency will be another curse / blessing to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.