should I update schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsfreak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so in august I graduated from college and have started a full time job in a research lab. So some schools in the secondaries asked me about my plans after I graduate and explained my plans, but some school didn't have a question like this in the secondary, so should I update them and tell them that I have graduated and have started working full time?

or is it too early to start updating schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I would send an update. After all, that information might be taken into account when they're deciding whether or not to give you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly recommend you wait. It's assumed (i.e., required) that you'll graduate before you matriculate into medical school, so having done so isn't worth an update. Additionally, starting work isn't - in and of itself - worth an update. Save the letter for when you have cool research results (or a publication) to report, or something comparably meaningful. Besides, if the season goes on without any interviews, you'll need something to say. Save it for a rainy day.

ok so maybe i should give more info

I do have decent stats, 3.7, 34, but my ECs aren't that great
while in college I did research for a little over a year, but there were a lot of family issues to deal with so i couldn't be as committed and stopped working in the lab, i listed this in my activities section but I did not get a recommendation from the PI, in my applications I wrote about my interest in research but I am afraid that med schools will be doubting my interest since i don't have much to show from my undergrad research

so i thought by updating them about working full time in the lab I could show my commitment to science research

ok so maybe i should give more info

I do have decent stats, 3.7, 34, but my ECs aren't that great
while in college I did research for a little over a year, but there were a lot of family issues to deal with so i couldn't be as committed and stopped working in the lab, i listed this in my activities section but I did not get a recommendation from the PI, in my applications I wrote about my interest in research but I am afraid that med schools will be doubting my interest since i don't have much to show from my undergrad research

so i thought by updating them about working full time in the lab I could show my commitment to science research

You sound like you really want to do it... so do it! Other SDNers don't really have that many more answers than you probably do, there's no way we can know what they'll do wtih the letter. However, I would say worst comes to worst they'll ignore it.