Should I use my Urology letters to apply for prelim surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a fact that programs don't like to take -for non-designated preliminary spots- prelims they doubt will get placed later on. Should I use my strong Urology letters and personal statement to apply for non-designated preliminary surgery spots? I'd like them to know I'm not interested in General Surgery, and have a strong Urology application.

Alternatively, I can use my General Surgery letters, which wouldn't give them a good idea about how good my Urology application is (an indication of potential for placement next year).

Members don't see this ad.

It's a fact that programs don't like to take -for non-designated preliminary spots- prelims they doubt will get placed later on. Should I use my strong Urology letters and personal statement to apply for non-designated preliminary surgery spots? I'd like them to know I'm not interested in General Surgery, and have a strong Urology application.

Alternatively, I can use my General Surgery letters, which wouldn't give them a good idea about how good my Urology application is (an indication of potential for placement next year).

Honestly, I don't think prelim surgery programs care one way or the other and while some people manage to get into surgery, most end up either doing a second year prelim spot or without a spot. Most of the time they just want a warm body. Are there any prelim spots open at this time btw? Decide if it's realistic for you to pursue urology also. It's a very competitive specialty. Are you an AMG or IMG? Also make sure if you do reapply, that you have done something meaningful if at all possible during this year to improve your app.