Which LORS to use for IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverDO

Medcraving
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry it's another LOR question. I'm currently having a dilemma about which LORs to use for my IM application. I have one letter from an orthopedic surgeon and 3 LORs from the same IM residency program that my school is affiliated with. I was fortunate to read the surgeon's LOR which is good but somewhat generic. I don't know the quality of the other 3 LORs. Which LORs do you guys think I should use? If I were to use the 3 IM LORs, will programs perceive me wanting to go to the program the LORs are coming from? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, sorry it's another LOR question. I'm currently having a dilemma about which LORs to use for my IM application. I have one letter from an orthopedic surgeon and 3 LORs from the same IM residency program that my school is affiliated with. I was fortunate to read the surgeon's LOR which is good but somewhat generic. I don't know the quality of the other 3 LORs. Which LORs do you guys think I should use? If I were to use the 3 IM LORs, will programs perceive me wanting to go to the program the LORs are coming from? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Why not use them all?

Because I'm planning to use my chair letter as well

If I were to use the 3 IM LORs, will programs perceive me wanting to go to the program the LORs are coming from? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

...Most people (applying to IM/Peds/FM) only use letters from a single program affiliated with their school. Why is this a concern?